Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Of Computers and Heat by Konnie Enos


There has also been so much going on this week that I haven’t even thought about opening Word to do any sort of writing until today.

I believe that I mentioned my old computer had died and I ended up having to share a computer with my son and husband. At first, this wasn’t a big deal because they rarely use it, and I was only using it when necessary. Basically, just doing finances and dealing with our blog posts.

However, I eventually got back in the groove of working on my writing. Specifically editing. I started by reading though and working on the edits to my fantasy. This did take a week or so with starts and stops but this isn’t that long of a novel.

Then I started editing my sci-fi. This is five books long. I’ve been working on them long enough that the first one didn’t need much editing. The second one needed a little more but was nearly perfect too. When I got to the third one, I had to make some needed changes as well. Changes which I had to continue working on as I worked on the fourth and fifth one so that the story flowed well through all the books.  

Now the fourth book needed some work on getting to the right finish for it. I’d already written it, but it wasn’t in the fourth book. Mostly because I’d ended it in the wrong place and put it in the fifth book instead. I fixed that.

Now, although I had most of the story for the fifth book, it was missing needed elements and scenes. Not to mention I’d deleted about two chapters from it to finish the fourth book. So now I was doing both writing and editing. Not to mention still going back to book four and sometimes book three to correct the flow of the story. And I did okay on getting all that work done but I only made it to the exciting last day of the story before I hit some roadblocks. I have the ending of the whole series but not the ending for the storyline in the fifth book, so it still needs work because I don’t know the best way to end that storyline yet.

Anyway, after hitting that snag, I realized I’d been neglecting important things like keeping up with balancing our checkbook register. So, I was still on the computer a lot.

This is where the men in our household started to get frustrated with my using the computer all the time. My son wanted to play his VR games and my husband just found more reasons to use a computer rather than his phone.

My son was relatively easy to deal with since he’s a night owl and usually wanted it when I was going to bed anyway. My husband, however, was getting on my nerves. He’d say he needed the computer as soon as possible so I’d stop working on whatever I was doing, often trying to fix the last book in my sci-fi series, and he wouldn’t even touch the computer for hours. Several times he didn’t get on it at all that day.

I decided it was time to figure out replacing my computer, so I didn’t have to share with him. The issue was, I didn’t have four hundred dollars for one. My son helped me find one that was small, light, refurbished and under two hundred dollars. I’m still getting used to the size of the keyboard. It also lacks a ten-key pad so I will probably have to get one to plug in since I use the ten-key for so much. (Our finances being a big one.)

Anyway, while I was waiting for my computer to arrive, my daughter contacted me, wanting me to come see her. Money being what it is, and our far too recent issues with large unexpected, but necessary expenses, we didn’t have anywhere near enough money to cover round trip airfare for me to go to the other side of the continent and back. It took a few days for us to figure out a flight for me. In the meantime, my new computer arrived so I could take my own with me instead of taking the shared one.

Now I’m at my daughter’s place trying to type on a keyboard that is clearly smaller than what I’m used to and some of the keys aren’t in the same position as I’m familiar with. Delete and backspace being the two most obvious ones that I must hunt for when needed.

The temperatures here are also higher than I anticipated. I should have packed my shorts and worn my sandals. Such is life.

Smile. Make the day a brighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment