Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Of Procrastination and Deadlines by Konnie Enos

Last night, after our lights were all out when I was as comfortable as possible and about ready to fall asleep, my husband asked me what I had to do today. As I was almost asleep, my first thought was nothing.

It’s usually nothing. At least nothing much. I’m introverted enough that I much prefer to stay in the comfort of my own home. I also prefer to stay in the comfort of my nightgowns mostly because it means I don’t have to wear a torture device better known as a bra.

While I’m sitting around at home, I don’t do very much beyond some chores.

Every day we sweep, vacuum, and occasionally mop all the floors. At least once a day we run the dishwasher and later we put away the clean dishes. Twice every day we provide medicine to two dogs and fill puzzle toys with food/treats to engage two of our dogs while also feeding all four of them and keeping them separate while doing so.

There is also bringing in the mail, taking out the garbage, and making sure the bins get to and from the curb once a week. Not to mention regularly going to the store for groceries, and we wash the towels at least once a week. There is also regularly scrubbing bathrooms and grooming dogs, which sometimes requires bathing dogs.

My point is that we do plenty every day around here, but I don’t do any of those chores. I have lots of reasons for this, but they all boil down to the fact that I’m a short overweight senior citizen with arthritis from my waist down. Every one of these chores requires standing, walking, bending, stretching, or just plain reaching things I can’t reach because of my height. So, my family does all these chores. (My daughter does most of them except when she forces her brother to help her or my husband helps.)

My chores consist of cleaning the things I can reach (tables, countertops) and cooking or at least assisting in cooking. I generally do the peeling and chopping. I also manage the finances and pay the bills. Most of which I can do sitting down.

So, when Jerry asked me what I was doing today my first thoughts were that I didn’t have any appointments nor were there any pressing bills to deal with. Beyond my regular cleaning and cooking chores, I had nothing on my schedule for today. My first response was to tell him, nothing.

Then it occurred to me that I did have something to do today.

It was at that moment that I realized my son had gathered and taken out the garbage, including taking the bins to the curb. It was Tuesday night, meaning today was Wednesday. I had something that I needed to do before 8 a.m.

Something that involved sitting, but also time and thought. All of which I wasn’t up to at 11 p.m. when I was already lying down and half asleep. It was also something that I’d completely spaced all day. I’d given it no thought and had no idea how to proceed.

My only conclusion was that I had to get up early this morning and hope that I was able to get enough sleep so that I’d be refreshed and ready for the task.

After three middle-of-the-night trips to the bathroom, my alarm went off. I was not ready for the morning, let alone thought, but I still needed to get things done. I dragged myself out of bed and pulled out my laptop.

I also, very dutifully did not get on the internet or start browsing that rabbit hole known as Facebook. I opened up a blank Word document.

Then I did look at some news headlines because I still didn’t know what to write but I forced myself to get back to writing without delving into any stories and wasting time.

In case you haven’t figured it out, what I forgot about until late last night was that today was my day to post. I had to get up, come up with a topic, and write something that made sense at a time that is earlier than I normally get up.

I also don’t know why I felt it was such a huge deal that I forgot about it until that late. As a rule, I often forget about it until the last minute. Often not realizing it’s Wednesday, or my turn to post, until my alarm goes off Wednesday morning. It’s the only day I have an alarm set to wake me up. It’s also set so I’ll have time to write a post if it’s my turn, which I usually manage, barely in time.

Apparently, I’m good at procrastinating.

Smile. Make the day a brighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment