Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Of Internet Outages and Spotty Cell Service by Konnie Enos

Yesterday, I woke up fully realizing I had to write a post today, but figured it was something that could wait until after I did other necessary things, like balancing the checkbook. And I wasn’t going to do that until after I’d done my normal morning routine.

I was in the middle of said routine when my son came into my room, barely awake and grumbling.

What was he grumbling about?

The internet was down. Estimated repair time was a couple of hours. Okay, so I wait to do the finances. And while I could write my post with the internet down, I could not set it up while offline. So that was waiting too.

I then dilly-dallied around because I had nothing to do that didn’t require internet access.

At about the hour that it should have been repaired, my son returned grumbling to my room complaining that it’d been pushed back four hours. This repeated two more times until we are sitting at the dinner table wondering when we will have our internet service back.

At this point, my son was aggressively trying to figure out what was happening, repeatedly checking our internet provider’s site from his cellphone. This is when he noticed that our cellular service, which could give us mobile data, was being spotty. Spotty to the point, he wasn’t able to refresh the information he could access for any updates.

It got worse as the evening progressed and the internet was still down.

My son was panicking. Talking about if it was a cut line it could be days until the repaired it.

I was not far behind him.

I still had to balance the checkbooks, and I knew one account had the statement out for the month, so I’d need to reconcile that. Plus, you know, my post. Which I had not made any attempt to write yet. I actually had not come up with a topic yet.

Then my son came into my room and told me the newest estimate for repair wasn’t until this morning.

Okay, now I was in panic mode too.

It’s my turn to post. And if I had no internet connection in the morning I would not be able to do a thing about it.

Then my persnickety phone died.

This phone functions perfectly but recently it decided it must be completely turned off before I attach the charging cable for it to actually start charging. Even more annoying is it will not turn back on until it was at least 15% charged.

So, my internet is down for an unknown length of time which I do not trust to be anytime soon since it had been out all day. On top of that, my post is due and my phone is dead.

My one and only thought is that I cannot tell Bonnie what the problem is with my phone down too and at this point it’s late enough that calling her any later might wake her up. She is an hour ahead of us after all.

So, I tell my son to call his aunt. I know for a fact that Bonnie is his only aunt that he actually has a number for and talks to regularly. I did not ask my daughter to call her, because I wasn’t certain if she had Bonnie’s number or not and with mine off, I could not check the number for her.

Now mind you, our cell service is still spotty.

According to my son, as soon as Bonnie answered he spilled out the entire issue. No internet which meant I couldn’t post, and spotty cell service which meant the call could drop any second.

Anyway, it was sufficient information for her to figure out it was extremely important to let him know she got the message and understood the problems quickly. Beyond her initial hello, all she said was that she would cover the post.

Fortunately, the internet was restored sometime in the night.

I woke up this morning and after attending to the needs of our furry family members I opened my computer. Internet is functioning.

I check out blog sight. No post from Bonnie. I’ve even refreshed a couple of times.

Yes, I began typing way faster than I usually do.

Now it’s about the time this post should be written, edited and set up and I’m still typing. This is going to have to. At least the internet and cell service seem to be fine now.

Smile. Make the day a brighter day.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment