Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Telepathy

What’s it like being a twin?
Yeah, people actually ask that.
I’m always tempted to ask them what it is like being a singleton. And before you say anything along the lines of normal, remember our frame of reference is different.
Let me illustrate being a twin. I’ll start with twin telepathy.
I can give lots of illustrations of us using our telepathy, here are just a few. The first one is the first time anyone suggested we could use our connection to cheat. It was a teacher.
No, he didn’t suggest we cheat.
Our high school biology teacher separated his students for tests, no one beside or in front of or behind anyone else, so no one could glance at anyone else’s paper.
He explained this, counted the students, and then said, “We don’t have enough seats.” He counted again, then picked up his briefcase and walked over in front of where Bonnie and I sat. “You could cheat even if I placed you in opposite corners. So, you can stay here, just turn your backs to each other and I’ll put my briefcase here.” Which he then placed on the table between us. Then of course we proved we wouldn’t cheat when she couldn’t get mitosis and meiosis.
Then a couple of years later in another class, our teacher had split everyone up in the manner our biology teacher had wanted to, including Bonnie and I ending up several rows apart. As students finished their test they handed it in and left the room. Finally our teacher stood in a row of chairs between where Bonnie and I were still working and ask the last three students if we were done yet.
The young man stood to hand his in.
I said, “Just double checking my answers.”
Bonnie said, “I can’t remember the answer for number five.” (Okay, I’m not sure which number it was now, but I know she was specific then.)
I glanced at my paper. “Oh, that’s easy.”
She said, “Oh, yeah.” And apparently furiously wrote the answer or so I’ve been told. (Remember the teacher stood between us.)
Our friend who hadn’t left yet pointed and said, “Cheat! Cheat!”
The teacher said, “Yeah, but I can’t do anything about that kind of cheating.”
And that is the only time we have ever cheated on a test. Well, at least that I know of.
Then there are all the times I’ve called Bonnie’s house and my brother-in-law answered. The conversation went something like this.
“Hello.”
Bonnie in the background: “Tell K.De I’ll be right back.” (K.De is my nickname.)
Tom said, “What makes you think it's K.De.”
Me laughing. “Because it is. And I heard her.”
My point is twin telepathy is real. Bonnie has mentioned it in her posts. And it happened to me, earlier, before writing this post, I was sitting at our kitchen table with a guest and I heard a phone going off. Mind you there are five cell phones in my house with similar rings tones and four of them were in the far reaches of the house. But without error, I knew it was mine, because I knew it was Bonnie calling. No caller ID necessary.

And no. It wasn’t our shortest conversation ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment