Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Passing it on isn’t always Good by Konnie Enos

Seriously people I don’t get it.
I understand why people go out in public when they know they are sick.
Okay, I know I’ve gone out when I had a cough, but having a cough doesn’t always equate being contagious. Like today. I’m not contagious. Just have the after effects of a cold. I’d never leave the house, if I waited for the days without coughs or sneezes. But going to school or church with any of the signs of illness, such as stuffy noses, coughs, sneezing, and body aches, just doesn’t make sense to me.
I’ve heard the excuses.
“It’s just a little cold.”
“I’m almost over it.”
“I’m not that sick.”
That’s completely beside the point. You are sick!
If you can’t think about your own health and getting yourself better by resting, then be altruistic and think about all the people out there you might run into and infect with your “mild” cold.
Back in 2002 during the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, UT they had an outbreak of a really harsh illness called RSV, which can be deadly to preemies, and kids under a year old, or anyone with a weak immune system. For most people, old enough to fight it off, it wasn’t anything other than a “mild” cold, mostly just a runny nose.
My youngest was still under a year old. A family whose kids had runny noses tended him for me. He got RSV. At one point he went Code Blue. We’re lucky we still have him.
My entire family has asthma. Colds easily go to our lungs. Recently my oldest son came home complaining, for the second year in a row about a girl at school being sick. And for the second year in a row, he soon had the same symptoms. Effectively bringing the cold to a house not only full of asthmatics but one family member has auto immune diseases (yes, I said plural diseases). Not a good combination.
And both times my son complained about her it was that her parents wouldn’t let her stay home even though they knew she was sick.
I so don’t get it.
Are you really so selfish you have to get everyone else, even those people for whom simple little cold isn’t quite so simple, sick?
I don’t care how healthy you are, or how well you can fight that cold off, even if you choose not to take care of yourself. Some people have to take care of themselves and avoid coughs and colds as much as they can in order to stay healthy.
So I really, really don’t get it. Why do people have to be out in public when they need to be home taking care of themselves?
Take care of yourself, get the rest you need, don’t pass that cold on to classmates or co-workers. They might be healthy, but maybe someone they live with isn’t.
Personally, I’d appreciate not catching all these colds because someone had to go to school or church with a cough.


Today my sign off is: Still coughing because a parent didn’t care that their kid was sick.

2 comments:

  1. This is so true. At the very least people should cover their cough or sneeze. Seems like it's popular to sneeze into your elbow. That really does catch it. Yuck..but effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. At the very least people should cover their cough or sneeze. Seems like it's popular to sneeze into your elbow. That really does catch it. Yuck..but effective.

    ReplyDelete