Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Rainy Days and Mondays by Konnie Enos

Clouds, Colorful, Colourful, Countryside
If any of you know anything about the church my sister and I attend, you would know that my two teen aged sons (currently in high school) go to a class before school each day. This means we get up early because school starts around 7 a.m. so this class has to start at 6, well before the sun is up most of the school year.
Because of where this class is located in comparison to their school it means I am driving into the rising sun to get them to school on time. Even wearing really good sunglasses it can be very difficult to see the multiple four way stops I have to pass on that route each morning. Some of the route has trees to block the sun and in other spots I have a tendency to pray there will be a nice large truck available so I can see without squinting.
Monday morning as the boys came out of their early class I noticed that although I could see around me clearly, there wasn’t any noticeable rays of sunlight. I looked up. Everything appeared somewhat blue with gray tinges, and in some places it was darker. The darker places were clearly clouds.
As I headed for their school I said, “Either the sun hasn’t come up yet or it’s completely over cast.”
At no time Monday did we see the sun. By Monday afternoon it was raining, a little. It was still raining come Tuesday morning.
As usual, it was dark when they went inside and I waited, as I normally do, outside in our car. Since it is generally light out when they come out I was surprised when they returned to the car.
I looked at the time, a quarter to seven.
I glanced up. It was still so dark out the street lights were still on. All of them.
I took them to school in the dark and rain. Three hours later I took their sister to her appointment in the rain and still not much lighter. I took friends to the store, still coming down. By the time the boys got home from school, still coming down. I drove them to pick up their new eye glasses.
By now the streets are really soggy and in some places just a bit flooded. As we approached where the eye doctor’s office was we had to drive through quite a puddle. All the cars going through the intersection were leaving a noticeable wake behind.
My youngest made some comments about having to swim if it kept up.
We returned from this errand about 4 p.m. At this point we had not seen the sun since Sunday evening at dusk. I was inside for no more than five minutes when I learned I had to go pick up my other daughter. I went out to the car and you’ll never believe me! I had to put my sunglasses on! The clouds had started to clear and the setting sun was right in my eye for at least part of my trip.
Though I was blessed with seeing a rainbow. That was nice.
Then I was listening to the news. Guess what?
Tuesday, January 9. 2018 set a record. Wettest January day on record for Las Vegas.
Smile. Make the day a brighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment