Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Of Storms and Setbacks by Konnie Enos


“When it rains it pours.”
I don’t mean literally.
I live in a desert after all.
I’m talking about life’s little setbacks and unexpected annoyances and minor traumas you have to deal with. Far too often with a price tag you just aren’t ready to deal with.
Sometimes the price is an emotional one.
A young girl we attend church with spoke Sunday about her recent loss of her beloved family member, her pet. The loss of any loved one can be an emotional stressor.
Other times it’s physical. An accident or a health issue.
My own daughter is dealing with several medical issues though recently she finally found a doctor who one, believed her, two wanted to help her find answers, and three felt the best place for her was a tertiary clinic. Then she ran into a huge problem. The clinic won’t accept her insurance and she doesn’t have even the minimum amount of money in cash to get them to see her without insurance. So she is still fighting.
Accidents can be anything from breaking a bone to wrecking a car. Both have after effects.
Then there are times the problems you have to deal with come with an actual price tag. An unexpected bill or repair. Needing to replace worn out, or out grown, clothing. If you have animals, an unplanned trip to the vet.
Usually these unexpected, unplanned events occur sporadically enough you can recover from one before the next one pummels you.
Usually.
Other times, well, when it rains, it pours.
One day you get slapped with an unexpected repair and the next it’s a bill you had no idea was coming. Then you’ve got to cover things like maintenance on your car, or taxes or other things you don’t pay every month and you had been saving for them but now you don’t have any left. Or at least not enough to cover everything you where saving for AND all those unexpected expenses and yet one more repair. And that regular bill that’s going up, yet again. Not to mention the bill that’s higher than you expected it to be. And you can’t possibly squeeze another penny out of your budget.
And you look at all those bills and all those repairs and maintenance needing done along with your empty bank account and the only thought going through your head is, when it rains, it pours.
No, my bank account isn’t empty.
Yet.
Yes, my family is being pummeled.
At the moment I’m sure the only reason we still have money in the bank is because I have yet to do any of my yearly Christmas shopping.
Normally, this time of year I’d have completed nearly half of it. This year, I haven’t even gotten one gift. I’ve barely managed to keep up with getting birthday gifts.
For some reason, this year, I’ve been unable to come up with the motivation or the ideas to even start shopping this year. So now, at a time I’d normally be nearly done with it, I haven’t even started, which might be a good thing this year.
Why?
Because the way things have been pouring around here I’m sure it’s going to have to go next, and Christmas will be reminiscent of our more austere past.
When the girls were little and money was really tight, I made what few gifts I gave them because we really couldn’t afford anything.
Unfortunately, my girls are all adults now and I can’t make them a baby doll blanket anymore. I also have no clue what I could possibly make the males in my household.
In our church we’re told you’ll get hit the hardest when Satan wants to get you off the straight and narrow path, but if you stick with it you’ll be blessed in the end.
Well we’re getting bombarded now and our daughter is preparing to partake in a religious ceremony that is something of a rite of passage, it also shows her devotion to our faith.
All things considered, I think this storm has been long enough.
I don’t want any more unexpected bills or repairs.
I don’t need another bill raised.
I don’t want to replace anymore clothes or shoes.
I don’t need any medical bills or a needed doctor who won’t take our insurance.
If it has to rain, why can’t it pour down some blessings instead of troubles?
Personally, I’m ready for a storm of blessings.
Smile. Make the day a brighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment