Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Wishes VS Reality by Bonnie Le Hamilton

Do you remember making wishing on the first star of the night? I do. I also remember watching The Jetsons and wishing Rosy really existed; actually, I still do. She could do the dishes, laundry, and vacuuming while I write or do crafts.

There just isn’t enough time in a day to do everything, ever, that is truer now that I have a car again. 

The thing is I can remember back before the accident when I wished I didn’t have such a full plate and could stay home for days on end. Back then a whole week without having to go anywhere beyond church on Sunday sounded like a good thing, until I got it. Now I’m back to wishing I could stay home but I have places to go and things to do.

As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for. Or maybe its something like the grass is always greener on the other side. None of us know how good we’ve got it until we don’t have it anymore. 

There are advantages, and disadvantages to having a car. Would I trade that freedom for being able to stay home every day? I don’t think so.

It’s a pain to have try and find rides to do simple things like run to the store. And its annoying when you can’t help your loved ones because you have no way to get to them, but I still wish I had a “Rosy” to do the chores.

Then again, if I had a robotic maid, I’d probably end up having to do regular maintenance on her. There are always drawbacks and no one can know what those drawbacks are until they actually have to deal with them.

The same goes with having a pet. I sometimes miss the companionship of a cat. I love cats, I hate cleaning litter boxes. Which is why I don’t have a cat. Too much work, I’d rather not. But that’s a drawback I do know. I’ve had cats in the past. I honestly should have realized the ramifications of not having a car before I wished for that, because, after all, I’ve been car-less before.

I was without transportation from the time I left home for college until I got married three years later let alone the years where I couldn’t drive. I honestly should have considered the ramifications. I missed out on a few things I wanted to do simply because I had no way to get there, but I did have more time to write. What’s more important? Freedom to go places or freedom to stay home and write?

As a writer, it should be freedom to stay home, but if that is your life day in and day out, it gets old fast. Even writer’s need interaction with other people once in a while. Just not every day of the week.
And its not like the weather is cooperating.

At one point this last few weeks, I was glad I had such a big (high off the ground) vehicle, because the amount of snow that used mean I couldn’t get out of my driveway, doesn’t even faze this thing. It’ll drive right over it. Problem is, that makes the driveway hard packed, and slippery.

Yeah, I slipped on my driveway the other day.

I also have to deal with clearing the snow off my car, which isn’t easy considering I’m so short, and it’s so big. Another thing I honestly should have considered before I bought it. I had to go out and find a window scraper with a long telescoping handle, because I simply couldn’t reach enough of the windshield without it.

You would think a writer would be able to do bit of “What if” thinking and figure out these things before they got in too deep.

But do any of us ever see all the possible scenarios to what we’re wishing for? I’d say, I don’t think so, but I know for a fact there are a lot of stories which started with, “What if”.

It’s done all the time, and I’m told several of the better thriller or sci-fi movies were started this way, and I’ve heard a few comedies started with the premise, what can go wrong will go wrong. Life is like that − our stories should be too.

Life isn’t always sunshine and roses, and our stories would be boring if we wrote them that way. Mistakes happen, things don’t always go as planned, and the grass isn’t really greener on the other side of the fence.

Those of us on the outside looking in, can’t possibly see what’s really going on. That immaculate lawn may be hiding a man who beats his wife for spilling a little milk.

Happy writing everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment