Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Of Nano and Conference by Bonnie Le Hamiton


National Novel Writer’s month (Nano for short) is coming, as it does every November, but well, this past weekend I attended my writing group's monthly meeting and the discussion was on, “What are you going to write this Nano?”

Yikes!

I’ve been so focused on editing my one novel that I haven’t written much of anything all year beyond my blog posts. I most certainly haven’t been thinking about what I will write, so I have no idea.
But let’s face it, for the Nano’s I’ve participated in, I’ve had an outline a whopping total of one time. And I’ve only known what I was going to write in advance maybe five other times beyond that.
More often than not I’ve headed into the first of November with no plan, and no story idea. Though I have to admit, since I generally write romance, that is what I was thinking I’d write when I started the month.

That is what I wrote those times. The only time I didn’t write romance was the time I used an outline, so maybe I should try outlines more often and branch out on what genres I write.
For me, romance is easy. Anything else is hard, so I’d need an outline for something in the sci-fi field. I did have an outline, not much of one, but I did have one. Not enough to finish that story, but it was start. I need to finish it.

Maybe I should work on that again.

But I have other story ideas, one that has been popping into my head once in a while. I just don’t think there is enough there to make a good story, not a novel anyway. And I’m not sure of motivation or anything on the part of the characters. I just plain don’t think that one will work, so I haven’t fleshed it out in my mind let alone on paper – or rather computer screen.

I only have a vague idea about what happens next on my sci-fi, and I know I still have some fleshing out to do on what I already have to make it a complete story. So, I need to work on that. I need to be more organized and work on my writing with more consistency than I have been.

Have you ever found yourself so busy writing has taken a backseat for you? Or do you consider editing just another part of writing? I have been doing a lot of that, just not consistently.

I haven’t been doing anything with a whole lot of consistency.

That’s probably my biggest problem.

But then I’ve discussed that before. I get distracted easily. Too easily sometimes.

Then there is Konnie. When she’s home, she has a hard time finding time to write, but her distractions come in the form of a husband and four kids still living in the home. Needless to say, I don’t have that problem.

My distractions come in the form of one small kitten who likes to play and a sister-in-law who needs rides once in a while. Then there are my writing groups, the knitting group, and my volunteer work. Yeah, I’m busy.

This week is even more so because Konnie is up visiting me and she, of course, would like to visit some of our family in the area if she can while she’s here. On top of that, we have a writer’s conference to attend this weekend. (Which is why she’s here in the first place.)

Though that has already led to some interesting interactions.

Sunday at church, I spotted the young daughter of a friend of mine, right as the girl noticed my sister, not me. She smiled and started toward her, then stopped and frowned in confusion, then I got her attention and the poor girl was shocked. She is learning delayed and still very young, so I can imagine she had a hard time with the idea that there are two of us.

Another lady from church walked right up to us and started to say, “Now which −”

I smiled and said hello, calling her by name.

“Well, that answers my question!”

Everyone, of course, noted that the person sitting next to me looks just like me. They would have to be blind not to notice that.

We got a lot of people staring at us at the airport when I picked her up too. This will continue the whole time she’s here. This conference should be fun!

Anyway, have you ever been to a conference? This will be a first for both Konnie and me.

And do you participate in Nano? Will you be participating this year? If so, do you know what you are going to write?

Well, happy writing, or editing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment