Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Bad Luck by Bonnie Le Hamilton


Okay, life is hard, but sometimes I feel like someone is picking on me.

This last couple of weeks have been horrible, and Konnie calling me at 10:30 at night didn’t help any.

There I was getting ready for bed and my phone rang! My first thought was it must be important for Konnie to call me this late. I honestly answered expecting her to convey some bad news.

The only bad news was that she hadn’t been looking at her clock, and/or forget that I live in mountain time, not pacific. So here I was yawning and having trouble keeping my eyes open, and Konnie called just to chat.

The second I said hello, she realized how tired I was, and noticed the time. Dang right! I never call anyone after 9 PM and if they have small children, I refrain from calling after 8 PM. Of course, my 9 PM is her 8 PM, but still, she usually doesn’t call me that late unless it's important, so I know she hadn’t been paying attention to the clock.

Too bad that wasn’t the worst thing that happened to me in the past two weeks.

Starting with Patches needing a trip to the vet. He can’t stand the car.

The second it started moving, he started yowling.

He was in his carrier on the front passenger seat, so I kept trying to calm him by running my gloved hand over the mesh and trying to soothe him with my voice. When that didn’t work, I took my glove off and opened the zipper on the door, just a little. Too bad to be enough to get my hand in the carrier, it was also enough for him to wiggle out!

Try driving when you have a cat trying to climb down around your feet!

I know why he was aiming to where my feet were, that’s his favorite spot.

So, I ended up trying to drive while fighting off Patches. At a stoplight, I managed to wrestle him back into his carrier. But that didn’t end the struggle. He was quiet whenever I stopped, but the second my foot hit the gas, he was yowling again. And that was just the trip to the vet!

Ain’t life grand?

Patches needed his ears cleaned and medicated because of ear mites, and I think he hates getting his ears cleaned more than he hates a moving car. I don’t know about the vet’s assistant, but I came away scratched.

Then my plans fell through, then I spent an entire weekend not feeling well, and thinking I’d have to make some phone calls Monday morning. Fortunately, I was feeling better by Monday.

And I thought all the bad stuff was over, I had a pretty good week, and even managed to edit two more chapters on my manuscript Friday afternoon.

Saturday afternoon, I couldn’t open that file! All my changes, eighteen chapters, and I have to start all over with the edits. At least I still have a copy of my editor friend’s critiques, and a copy of my manuscript without all these edits, so at least I don’t have to recreate the whole story, but dang.

And Konnie’s late-night call wasn’t the only problem. Yesterday, while I was doing my work at the book scanning center, my phone kept dinging at me, and who’s texting me?

Konnie.

She forgot that I work at that place on Monday and Tuesday, even though she visited with me for just over a week back in September. Tuesday afternoon I am there.

Then again, a few weeks ago I sent her a text during the day knowing full well she was at work.
It was something I didn’t want to forget to tell her, and I knew she was work, so I sent a text with the information. She instantly, texted back that she was at work. I knew that,, that’s why I sent the text instead of calling.

Okay, I guess it wasn’t bad that she texted me while I was at my “work” since I did the same thing. I just never considered how unnerving that dinging is in an otherwise quiet room.

Everyone knew I wasn’t doing my work; my phone was dinging.

And it was dumb to think anyone would be bothered by it, mostly because I’ve received calls from family while working, and some of my coworkers have too. It isn’t a problem for me.

Then again, Konnie’s job is for pay, and I’m sure she’d get in trouble receiving phone calls during work, which is why I sent that text. I couldn’t wait, because if I did, I’d have forgotten.

But it got worse! I took my glasses off to read the small screen. When I put them back on, a temple broke off from the hinge.

And life goes on.

Happy writing everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment