Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Funnies by Konnie Enos


Recently I had some funny events in my life brought to my attention. The first three happened in the same hospital. Twice I was “the patient”. All three times my stepmother, an employee there, was involved. The other nurse was different each time.
The first one happened while I was still in high school. Margo (stepmother) took Bonnie, our niece, and me to where she worked and introduced us to a co-worker. (Let’s note here that she and our Dad were attempting to adopt our niece and Bonnie and I are only TEN years younger than she is.)
Margo introduced all three of us as her daughters but her colleague didn’t react. She didn’t even twitch when we talked about our family members were coming to town to celebrate our graduation. 
She finally asked if we were graduating from sixth or seventh grade.
“No, high school. We’re nearly 20!” (Yes, we were behind and graduated less than a month before our 20th birthday.)
“You can’t be Margo’s daughters!”
“Well, duh. She’s married to our father.”
Then there’s the time I had surgery. Yes, anesthesia was involved. Margo brought me to the hospital.
After I was in the recovery room, a nurse was talking to me and I asked, “Is mom still here.” Yes, I did ask for mom.
“I can check. Would you like her to come in?”
I must have said yes because a short time later Margo was in the room with me.
The nurse came back. “Is this your mom?”
“Yes.”
“I thought so. You look like each other.”
Under the throes of anesthesia, I started laughing uncontrollably. “That’s impossible. We aren’t related.”
Margo had to explain she was my stepmother.
The third time, she wasn’t even in the hospital. Understandably, because it was the middle of the night she’d spent half the night and most of the day with me while I was in labor with my second child. Now Margo, Jerry, my mother-in-law, and two nieces who’d been with me were all at home in their beds. (One niece was the one Dad and Margo raised but never managed to adopt. The other one was Jerry’s niece.)
I crashed right after delivery and I woke up in an eerily empty room. I assumed my daughter was in the nursery because I’d been dead to the world.
A nurse walked in and was surprised to see me awake, but also clearly hesitant to tell me where my daughter was. Somewhere in her stumbling, tentative rambling, she managed to mention Bilirubin counts.
I interrupted her. “So is my daughter single or double-banked?” The poor nurse nearly dropped her jaw, while I continued, “I’m Margo Westover’s daughter.”
Recognizing her name, she sighed with relief and had no problem explaining the situation since I wasn’t going to panic about a high Bilirubin count. After all, I knew what it was, and how to treat it. I even somewhat expected it. My husband and I are different blood types. Yes, all five of our children had at least mild jaundice.
Mostly, I just find it funny that all three happened in the same hospital and involved the same employee, at least indirectly.
I did have another funny exchange with a nurse. This one happened after the birth of our oldest child.
I was tending my daughter when a nurse came into talk to me. As he was preparing to leave, he commented. “There used to be a guy working in Central Sterilizing with the same last name.”
“I know. This is his daughter.”
“I had no idea he was married. How long have you been married?”
I pointed to the infant in front of me. “Long enough to have her.” She was born a month before our first anniversary.
Now for one last exchange.
I had taken Royce to the eye doctor’s to pick up his new glasses and as we left, he asked me, “Do I have a grandma?”
Considering his two biological grandmothers are dead and he never sees Margo, my now ex-stepmother, the short answer was no, though technically, everyone has grandparents. His are just dead.
“What brought that on?”
The tech who assisted him told him to go back to his grandma.
“I am not that old.”
He shrugs. “I have classmates with grandparents about your age.”
Yeah, I know I’m an older parent, but that’s ridiculous.
Smile. Make the day a brighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment