Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Of Carpal Tunnel and Typing by Konnie Enos

 

Have you ever tried to type when your hands are numb?

Last night, to make sure I had this post written on time, I got on my computer but my carpal tunnel was so bad I couldn’t feel the keys. I had to take steps to wake them up.

First, I tried resting them in a comfortable position until the sensation returned to my hands. I was able to find a couple of positions that helped but the minute I used my hands again they were numb.

Second I attempted to hold my wrists up in the proper manner. This didn’t help either. Even when I managed to keep them up, I still had numb fingers.

After trying those several times each, I put my braces on.

Now the braces usually work within minutes. For whatever reason, this time it got worse, to the point of hurting. I was forced to rest my hands, however, it took at least half an hour to find a position that offered some relief.

At this point, I think I might be able to type but every time I attempted to my hands go back to the painful numbness. To get them to stop, I decided to read my social feeds since scrolling didn’t require the same amount of finger dexterity that typing does. A couple of hours later I could feel my hands and they weren’t going numb every time I tried to use them. I was even able to take the braces off without the painful tingling.

Now with working fingers, it’s time to start typing. I failed miserably.

Why?

Because by this time it’s the middle of the night and my husband is fast asleep. Yes, he is snoring. Now my being up and on my computer is not going to disturb him. I know because he regularly takes long naps while I am on my laptop.

I do, however, have an issue with being able to type. Considering I was taught touch typing one would think it a non-issue but the fact remains it is difficult to type, without mistakes, when you have no visual reference on the keys.

Yes, I know where all the keys are but I have issues trying to hit the one I want rather than the one next to it. I also often have to look for where the punctuation keys are. Then there is the issue of actually hitting the backspace or delete instead of another key. I can also miss enter and hit shift instead. (Yes, very unhelpful.)

Then using numbers is another problem because I have never actually remembered which finger to use for those keys. That and I’m poor at aiming at the top row to begin with. Now, I do know the ten-key, but removing my hand from the letter keys to use it means I have to reposition my hands when I’m done.

Yes, there are bumps to help you position your hands, very slight bumps. Try feeling them when your carpal tunnel is acting up.

Overall it’s easier to type if I can visually readjust my fingers now and again. You cannot do this in a dark room.

My husband turned out the lights when he went to bed.

I did try, but it wasn’t pretty and by this time late at night so I gave up and went to bed AFTER I made sure I had an alarm set to get my up in time to try again. I assumed the sun would be coming up by then and I’d be able to see.

Morning arrives and I discover I still have my carpal tunnel issues AND I still cannot see.

As near as I can tell the sun is up, but I’d need our “curtains” opened to get any sunlight in our bedroom. I say curtains loosely because what we have covering our window is a tacked up old sheet, one that is dark enough it isn’t letting in the light. I cannot reach the tacks to let it down. Since I still do not have the light on, I’m forced to try to locate keys by touch and using the glow from the monitor when I need to visually relocate.

Yes, my hands are still numb so I’m wearing my braces too.

This has been a fun experiment in difficult things to do.

Well, I suppose I managed. Now on to other tasks I must do today, like get ready for work.

Smile. Make the day a brighter day.


No comments:

Post a Comment