Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Missing Things and Other Stuff by Bonnie Le Hamilton

 

Don’t you hate it when you misplace something you use daily?

Last Tuesday, I used my little swiss army knife just like I always do every morning. I can’t swallow anything whole, so I can’t swallow capsules, I have to break, or cut, them open and mix the contents into my food. I absolutely did it last Tuesday.

When I am not using this knife, it goes in a certain pocket in a certain wallet/purse, that goes in my larger purse. I swear I put my knife away Tuesday morning. Tuesday afternoon, I needed my knife.

I got out my wallet, but guess what – no knife. I searched the whole thing -- twice. Not there. I searched my bigger purse, taking out most of what was in there, but didn’t see my missing knife.

I didn’t see it Tuesday, I didn’t see it Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday even though I searched the whole house.

On Friday, yet another thing went missing, I just didn’t notice until Saturday morning when I needed to leave for work and couldn’t find my sunglasses.

Now I know I had them on Friday morning as I ran errands and went to the Pocatello Visitor’s Center because the sun was out, and I am light sensitive. I am so sensitive that I have to wear my sunglasses when the dentist turns on his bright overhead light. Needless to say, if the sun is out, I need my sunglasses.

I took most everything out of my purse, certainly enough that if my sunglasses were there, I’d have seen them. They weren’t there, and now I had a choice, call in late to work, or deal with the resulting headache from not wearing my sunglasses.

I went to work and took a couple of pain pills before I clocked in, and another couple of pain pills when I returned home, all that time thinking that I have the next two days to find my sunglasses without having to deal with going outside.

Yeah right!

While we are currently unable to meet for church because of Covid, I did still have an appointment with my bishop at church. Nothing serious or anything, just the annual, “How are you doing,” interview.

I still couldn’t find my sunglasses. I just took some pain pills when I was done.

Oh well, I still have Monday to find them.

Wait a minute, no, I was in need of lunch supplies, and well Patches had his annual vet checkup.

So, at this point, I’d mostly emptied my purse twice, and since I misplaced my sunglasses, I’d gotten into my car four times, and still hadn’t found them.

I do have kitchen shears so I made do without my little knife, but this sunglasses thing was getting a little tiresome. I decided to completely clean out my purse. It needed to be emptied of receipts and junk anyway. So, I dumped my purse, and found – my knife!

Oh well, another headache coming.

I reload my purse and get Patches. Outside I got into my car pretty much like I always do. I stood outside, leaned in, and placed my things on the center console, normal stuff here. This time I also put Patches in the car and as I did, I noticed something sticking out between the center console and the back of my seat.

Now please keep in mind that my seats are black, the console is black and my sunglasses are black, but there is a small space between the console and my seat. I promise I did search between the console and my seat, the seat part. This was the back of my seat! So please give me a break.

At any rate, I found my sunglasses! And I found them before I pulled out of my driveway and away from the morning shade the building provided me. Yeah!

Now the only thing I have to worry about is NaNo.

Just to let you know, I am not ahead like I usually am. I reached 25k on the fifteenth, the day you’re supposed to reach the halfway mark, because, guess what, it is the halfway mark of the month!

It's just that I can’t write every day. Not for the lack of trying, but some days I come home from work so tired I take a nap, then its dinner and back to bed. Yeah, I’m lucky I have just over 30k at this point. In fact, my word count is so spot on. I should finish on November 28th. I’m usually done by Thanksgiving.

Oh well, life goes on.

So, how are all of you doing this year? How is your writing going?

Anyway, happy writing everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment