Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Of Late Night Muses and Desperation by Konnie Enos


 Jerry decided to go to bed early but I was still doing school work and attempting to make sure I’d completed all I could for one day. I also knew I needed to write this post so after closing everything for school work I went searching for ideas. While I was thus engaged, and Jerry was now snoring beside me, someone knocked on our bedroom door.

Now it’s not uncommon for our kids to come into our bedroom for various reasons but while our girls will knock when it’s closed, our boys generally don’t. And at that hour it wasn’t likely to be the girls but my first inclination was they would just come in because as far as I knew it was unlocked.

Then I heard the distinct rattle of someone attempting to open a locked door.

Wonderful. He locked it and now he’s fast asleep.

Now you have to understand because I’m a full-time student I was half-buried in books for my classes, and had most of my tech around me. But most importantly was my computer on my bed table in front of me.

The first step, push my computer away from me.

The second step, make sure none of my paraphernalia is going to fall off the bed or otherwise make a mess or get lost somehow. Jerry is good at burying things under blankets, pillows, and such. Or simply knocking them off the bed. If it also ends up under the bed I may not find it for a while.

Of course, while I’m still moving things so I can get up, whoever is at the door knocks again.

“Give me a minute.”

Third step, the whole turning to get my legs off the side of the bed, sliding to get my feet on the floor, and pulling me up to a standing position. I generally manage this by pulling on the handles to my closet doors.

The fourth step, maneuver clear across the room, past two dogs who are more intent on seeing who is at the door than they are at getting out of my way so I can reach the door. I shove past them while realizing that my bladder knows I’m moving. For some reason, it thinks my moving is the time to empty. I’m hoping I’ll be able to get to the bathroom in time.

I get the door unlocked and Tony walks in. He has a transportation issue and wonders if he can have our car tomorrow.

I aim for the bathroom as quickly as I can. “Someone has an appointment tomorrow so no. Talk to dad.” I shut the bathroom door and quickly take care of business while he wakes Jerry up enough to talk to him.

That solves Tony’s issue and Jerry went right back to snoring.

It did not solve my issue.

I still have a post to write. My idea bank is too low to tap and my muse likes abandoning me when I need them the most. I decided to check just one notification on Facebook.

I don’t know why I even attempted that. It is never just one notification. Facebook is nothing more than a rabbit hole and sensible people should avoid it when they have deadlines to meet. I suppose this means I’m not sensible.

Now, a couple of hours later, I’m officially up way too late again. I weighed my options.

Option one, get right to bed and wake up by five so I have time to write and post before this has to be up. The downside is this means not getting enough sleep.

Option two, quickly figure out an idea and write a post then go to bed, preferably after I also set it up so I can sleep until seven or even seven-thirty. Might not be enough sleep but certainly more than getting up at five.

Thankfully desperation seems to help the muse do its job.

Thus inspired I begin typing. Fortunately, I know touch typing and my words per minute are decent. I can fill three pages in about half an hour as long as my muse is still cooperating.

Now it is closer to the morning than the middle of the night and my head doesn’t like the fact I’m still awake. Though I’m almost free to get some rest.

All I have to do now is choose a title, choose a picture to accompany it, edit the whole thing so it makes sense, then get it scheduled to go live at the appointed hour.

It’s wonderful how desperation can inspire you to work quickly.

Oh, happy day of birth to my beautiful new granddaughter, Aria Danielle Plagmann, born Monday, October 11th.

Smile. Make the day a brighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment