Wednesday, February 16, 2022

My Funny Bone by Bonnie Le Hamilton

 



My nephew called me the other day and he asked me to tell him a funny story from something I’d written. My response was to say, “Kid, you’re better off asking your mom.”

He simply kept asking me to tell him a funny story from what I’ve written. Giving up, I tried to relay to him my “easy as pie” scene.

This scene is in the middle of one of my finished novels but the setup is this: a group of girls including the heroine, her two young cousins, two sisters of the hero, his nephew, and one of his cousins. The heroine, the older of the two sisters, and cousin are working on sewing and chatting, while her cousin’s and the little sister were playing, the baby nephew was napping. Also, this room is on the third floor.

    Anyway, while they are in there, a man who was trying to usurp power, tried to kick out everyone in that room. (I might point out the mother of the nephew was not in the room.)

Well, the heroine and her friends moved a huge piece of furniture against the door to keep this guy out, but then the hero’s cousin climbed out the window to get help.

That’s the setup.

Once the guy is dealt with and hauled away, the hero and his entire extended family show up to calm down the little ones and just be together as a family, and they asked about the cousin climbing out the window.

She said, “Well there’s a ledge there, and I was able to get to the balcony, easy as pie.”

At this, the hero looks out the window, studies the barely-there ledge then faces the roomful saying, “I take it pie isn’t easy.”

Okay, that’s the extent of my being funny.

Konnie (the mom of said nephew) can write funny scenes, and she does it all the time. And clearly said nephew can because he is the son Konnie wrote about a while back because she’d learned he made up these hilarious tales about a fictional hero and the people around him, which he had claimed was a show he was watching.

But see, the one thing I didn’t get is the family funny bone. While Konnie on the other hand did get it. This would be one way we are different.

Another way we are different is that Konnie has trouble writing from a male POV. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to tell her she has her male characters all wrong.

I promise if she didn’t have me helping her with her male POVs she’d never be able to finish a believable story.

The converse of that is that I have problems with shy or scaredy-cat female characters. Konnie has had occasion to correct me on that.

Strong female characters I’m great at.

Let’s just say I don’t do shy and retiring.

Maybe this difference is that as a kid, my best friend for many years was a male cousin of ours. I played with the boys more than the girls until around the time I hit puberty.

Konnie on the other hand always played with the girls, and for that matter, she used to be very shy. That was never me.

I was the one protecting her.

Though I can remember one time when it was the big brothers of my friend who protected us.

This would have been in like first grade.

We were on the playground, and I noticed Konnie and her friend (the one time her friend was the boy) were surrounded by fifth and sixth graders.

I ran in to protect my sister, my friend run in to protect me, and well, two of her older brothers were also on the playground but another two were on the football field at the junior high next door and all four of these boys came running to defend their baby sister.

Needless to say, the bullies scattered at this point.

I might also point out this was one of the few times I made friends with a girl, not a boy, but in this case, she was a bit of a tomboy since she only had brothers.

I can’t remember anymore, but as far as I recall, she was the youngest and only girl, of five or six kids. And no, they were not redheads!

But like I said, I usually played with the boys back then.

Actually, that year was an anomaly for both of us, since she was the one with a male playmate that year, and I was the one with a female playmate.

Anyway, now I need to get back to work on my sci-fi.

So, happy writing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment