Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Easter and Other Things by Bonnie Le Hamilton

 


I’m sitting here staring at the screen trying to think of something to write, which is a normal problem when it comes to writing my post. Usually, that’s because there isn’t much going on here, but actually, the opposite is true this week. I have to go to work for certification this week.

No big deal, except now the time I had for writing my post, is gone and I have too much on my mind for concentrating on my post.

One look at the calendar will tell you one thing on my mind.

Easter is Sunday.

As you might expect, someone who collects Nativities might just like Easter too!

And I do.

Though, well with Christmas, I shun Santa and snowmen and all that jazz and stick with Nativity-themed decorations, so, I’d like to do the same for Easter, but the majority of the decorations that I can find have to do with Easter eggs and bunnies. Though I have found a nice “Easter Scenes” display in my most recent Deseret Book catalog, which is genuinely nice. Too bad I’m broke this year.

But now you know what I want!

I have “Gethsemane,” as well as “Journey to Bethlehem” and several “Escapes to Egypt,” I even have one “Suffer the Little Children” and at least one “Christus” in my extensive collection. I even have one of Christ standing at the door knocking.

Aside from “Gethsemane,” I have nothing about Easter in my collection. I need to fix that.

On another note, I recently got a message from a guy I don’t know in the real world who was asking to friend me on Facebook. He said he tried to before, but nothing came of it.

Duh!

You will find way fewer men on my friend’s list than women, and the majority of the men there, I am related to. Others I know from high school or church, while others I know of through church, and they are members. I have no problem “friending” women who have something in common with me but that I don’t know in the real world, but men . . . sorry, not going there.

If you are not family, are not a known friend, or a known member of my church, I will not accept your friend request, period. No matter how much you like my post.

And I can tell you right now I doubt Konnie would either, though she is married, and I am a widow. So, I can see why anyone wouldn’t worry about Konnie not friending them and wanting me to. It’s just that I’m not looking. And even if I were, I’m not going to look online. I’d look at church if I were so inclined, but I’m not.

I don’t mind you liking my posts. I don’t mind you reading my posts, but I’m not going to be your friend. Nor am I willing to participate in conversations with you online. I’m not interested in male companionship unless you count Patches, who is resting on my footstool right now. Which happens to be the closest he can get to me when I’m working on my computer.

With that out of the way, how is your writing going?

I recently reread an old manuscript of mine, and it dawned on me that one scene I have wouldn’t play out the way I have it. I had a group of hooligans make a prank bomb threat call, and I don’t have any officials showing up to search for the bomb or anything!

Yeah, absolutely nobody is going to call the bomb squad when someone calls in a bomb threat to a school!

Talk about a big gaping hole in the plot!

So back to the drawing board! Now how do I clear the school without anyone finding my hero and heroine stuck and unable to get out, and without anyone calling in the police or fire department or anything?

Yeah, that’s the problem. Bomb threat means a search, a search would find them, but I don’t want them found until morning. What would clear the school without bringing in reinforcements? That is the major question at this point.

Have you ever written a scene you thought was perfect, then realized you have a flaw in it? Like a huge gaping hole right in the center of it. What did you do to fix it?

What can I do to fix my hole?

Just to let you know, it is not the whole school, and it is after school hours, every student present is putting extra hours on their individual projects, and the prank needs to clear the building close to when they would have closed it anyway.

Anyway, happy writing everyone! And Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment