Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Memorial Day and Veterans by Bonnie Le Hamilton

 


Memorial Day is coming up, and this is National Veterans Appreciation Month. And I’d like to put in a word or two about just a few Vets I know.

We’ll start with Thomas Al Hamilton. My husband served in the active Navy with honor until they decommissioned all their boiler ships. (He was a boiler tech.) He was also still in the Navy during Deseret Storm, making him one of five men I’m related to that served during Deseret Storm.

The other four men are: in the Army – Clifford and George Hamilton (Tom’s younger brothers), in the Marines – Jeff Metcalf (our cousin) and finally, someone Konnie knows better than I do, in the Navy – Jerry Enos.

But military service doesn’t stop with them.

Our father and one of our uncles were in the Army during Vietnam. Tom’s father served in the Navy during the Korean War. And Konnie and I have a great uncle who survived Pearl Harbor.

And that still isn’t all, because Konnie and I are direct descendants of at least one fellow who fought in the American Revolution. He’s the only one I know of for sure. But that makes him a Vet! A very important one, since we wouldn’t have America without him and the other men he fought beside.

And my father once told me that he was pretty sure members of his family served in EVERY American war from the Revolution to (well when he said it), the Vietnam War. And it was his uncle that survived Pearl Harbor, so I don’t doubt it. Just haven’t proven it.

I have no idea if any of the younger generation have served, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they had, or maybe even are.

Men and women, who have served in this country’s armed forces are the people who have been and are keeping this country free. They are our protection.

And it isn’t easy serving in the military. Leaving your family behind for anywhere from two weeks to several years depending on the situation, going into unfriendly territory, and not knowing if they’ll ever get back home. Worse still those that didn’t come back in one piece or didn’t come back at all.

Like Billy Ray Cyrus says in his song “Some Gave All”: All gave some, some gave All!

All our veterans are heroes.

Not just the ones who came home in one piece, but those who came home broken and hurting, and those that didn’t come home at all.

Here’s to the men and women who willingly give of their time and talents to defend our borders, and our freedom, because like Toby Keith’s song “An American Soldier” says: Freedom don’t come Free!

Our freedom was won and is maintained at the cost of thousands of lives. I wouldn’t want to count them all, but I wouldn’t discount them either. They served; they gave. As a country, we need to honor and praise the sacrifices they made for us.

Can you tell I’m patriotic too?

If that doesn’t convince you here is a list of some of my favorite songs:

Irving Berlin’s “God Bless America!”

Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the USA!”

Toby Keith’s “An American Soldier” and “Courtesy of Red, White, and Blue”

“America the Beautiful”

“The Star-Spangled Banner”

“My Country Tis of Thee”

And finally, “Battle Hymn of the Republic”

And if that list isn’t enough, my favorite colors are Red, White, and Blue and one of my favorite birds is the Bald Eagle. When the color guard passes during a parade, I always put my hand over my heart, and when I was younger and able, I would stand while it passed. I inwardly morn because I can no longer stand for the National Anthem, and it infuriates me when I see people sitting and chatting as the color guard passes, paying it no mind at all!

Yeah, I’m patriotic, always have been.

Next to Christmas and Easter, my favorite holiday is Independence Day, and well, I’m sorry, but Jesus comes before my country!

It is on the list of the ones I look forward to every year.

And it's not just because of what comes the day after Independence Day, even though as a young kid I thought all those fireworks were to celebrate mine (and Konnie’s) birth. Give me a break, I was a kid, I was still learning.

But I know now, and I know the story behind when Francis Scott Key penned his poem that later become the lyrics to our beautiful Anthem. By the way, that was the war of 1812, and the flag was still standing come morning because of the men who sacrificed their lives to keep it standing!

Anyway, happy writing everyone! And don’t forget to honor the Vets in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment