Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Of Busy Days and Late Nights by Konnie Enos


 

Yesterday, realizing it was my turn to do our post, I made a great effort to deal with some things I needed to get done, like laundry. I figured once I had everything squared away I’d have a few hours to figure out what I was going to write about today.

I thought I was doing pretty good. I cooked breakfast and did some dishes and other household chores. I started doing the laundry that needed to be done and then I sat down to deal with making some appointments that were needed, all of which required some phone calls.

I made two appointments and updated the family calendar to reflect those and a couple of others that had been made in the last couple of days for me and other family members.

In between all of this, I did a total of three loads of laundry. I’m aware this doesn’t sound like much, but I had impediments. Between my height constraints and my bad back, I could not get the loads from the washer to the dryer or retrieve them from the dryer. It can be time-consuming to get others to help me with such tasks because they are all already busy with their own needed tasks.

Once the clothes were dried, I managed to fold and put them away. I know, a bit of a miracle to get any loads of laundry clear through the washing, drying, and putting away all in one day, let alone two. I did three loads yesterday but the third is still sitting in the laundry basket waiting to be dealt with.

I also made dinner last night and cleaned up afterward.

All in all, I had a productive day but at the end of the day, and already thinking of bed, even though I had yet to start my post, I was again waiting for assistance to complete one final task. Remake our bed. That third load was our sheets and pillowcases.

While waiting for my husband’s assistance, I did some internet browsing in hopes of finding a spark of an idea for this post.

I had thought about writing about some of the funny things my kids have said and done in the last couple of days but apparently, I’m going to have to start writing them down as they happen because my memory is only allowing me to remember I had some really good belly laughs this week.

This realization brought me to the fact that my memory isn’t what it used to be. I mean I do work on it, but I can forget things people have asked me to do. Or things I’ve told myself I need to do. Notes and lists have become the norm for me. But it's always nice to see the checkmarks beside everything that I’ve done that day.

So last night, as it was already getting late enough to consider going to bed, and I’d sort of come up with an idea for this post, I was ready to get my husband to help me make the bed so that I could work on my post and hopefully get enough sleep before I had to be up this morning.

I did not get the bed made.

Jerry decided the middle of the night was the perfect time to have a long phone conversation with his sister. Not disturbing in and of itself but he did this sitting beside me with the phone on speaker. Once I realized it was well after midnight with no end in sight, I gave up and went to bed, without sheets or pillowcases.

I was also intelligent enough to also set an alarm to wake me up far earlier than I normally would. When it went off this morning I seriously considered slamming it off and going back to sleep. I certainly wish I’d still been asleep for this past hour instead of dealing with this post. I may end up taking a rare nap today.

Oh, and the reason my husband felt it was appropriate to have a long, late-night conversation with his sister is that the oldest of his two younger brothers is in the hospital and it is not looking like he will make it much longer.

Though he was this bad about the time Reeses (Fluffball) and Tiger passed away and managed to rally around, a couple of times. So we are just waiting to see where this latest drawback takes us.

Now I’m hungry and exhausted so after I get this posted I’m getting breakfast and possibly taking a nap.

Smile. Make the day a brighter day.


Update: My brother-in-law died a few hours after this post originally went up.

No comments:

Post a Comment