Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Of Glasses and Collections by Bonnie Le Hamilton


Later today, I will finally get my new glasses. Now normally I wouldn’t be so excited about this, I get new glasses regularly, but this time I’ve been without glasses for more than a month!

You see, I had cataract surgery last month, and, because I had them fix my near vision (which I need to do my job and to write) instead of my far vision, it meant that I couldn’t see well enough to legally drive until I get those glasses.

I’m so tired of depending on friends for rides!

I can’t wait until I have new glasses. I can drive again!

I also haven’t been going to my weekly meeting at the library because I didn’t want to ask for that many rides. It was bad enough, I needed rides to get to and from work, church, and the store. I just couldn’t add to it. My friends have their own lives to live too.

Anyway, this afternoon I’ll be able to go to that meeting again.

I’ll also be able to go to the store whenever I want and visit my sister-in-law on Saturdays without begging for rides. Which will be very nice. This past Saturday I couldn’t find a ride to visit her.

At least we won’t have that issue for Easter!

And yes I’ll spend part of Easter weekend with my sister-in-law. If Konnie lived closer, I would spend it with her. Across town is a whole lot closer than Vegas!

And right now, my foot is falling asleep because Patches is on it. At least my bed is big enough for both of us since he likes it a lot. Though he gets testy when I chase him off my spot.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve entered the room to find him sprawled inches away from my pillow and I have no intention of traipsing all the way around to the other side. That’s just too much work.

I guess I can get testy too.

Anyway, Easter is almost here, and I haven’t done any shopping for it. I haven’t had the money, time, or a ride for it. Not that I’d buy much, I shouldn’t have a whole lot of candy, but I love jelly beans.

Last year around Easter time I found out there are knickknacks that depict the empty tomb, and man, I want one! I still don’t have one, but it would be nice.

I do have the Christus, a couple of Christ at Gethsemane, and one of Christ with the children, and of course, well over a hundred of his birth, but I don’t have anything about Easter. Does anybody want to get me one?

Which gets me thinking about characters and what they might collect.

I have one story where the female lead collects figurines and teddy bears (the stuffed kind), and another where the female lead collects both teddy bear figurines and toys.

And if you are asking, I don’t collect those things.

I guess I could have one where a character collects gnomes because my sister-in-law does. Actually, she collects gnomes, angels, and clocks. And just recently she started collecting tiny pink pigs. She’s also got some squirrels.

To each his own. We all have our quirks.

I really should have a male who collects something. I do have a male supporting character who collects movies on video. Like a whole ton of movies.

Books are another thing a character could collect. I certainly do.

The last time I bought some books my aide said, “Don’t you have enough already?”

My answer? “Never!”

Sorry, I love books. And I honestly think my books outnumber my Nativities, but I could be wrong. It’s a close call.

Though I’m not all that sure what guys would collect.

I do have one male lead with a collection of model cars, but he is a mechanic, that’s kind of a given.

I know Konnie has a male character with a collection of spaceships (it is a sci-fi). So model airplanes would work too. And I’ve heard of men, particularly sailors having model ships, so that would work too.

And of course, there are those baseball cards they could collect. I believe there are cards to collect in Pokémon too, but that could be any gender collecting those.

Really any gender would collect most of those.

Though I guess it would be kind of weird for a man to collect knickknacks or figurines.

If a character was rich, maybe he could collect cars, either in general or from a certain category. I could see a guy collecting muscle cars or maybe luxury cars. I could also see someone collecting cars from the 1920s or 30s, which would be really cool, I could go for that.

Anyway, happy writing everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment