Wednesday, October 25, 2023

NANO, Sci-Fi's and Editing by Bonnie Le Hamilton




 I have been working on my sci-fi like I said I would, just less than I had hoped. I did get to the point where I was ready to bridge the new scenes with the old stuff, whereupon I realized I didn’t “show” the correct stuff in some of the new scenes, and I even once showed them doing something that came later in the old stuff!

So now I have to do some major rewriting of a portion of the new scenes. Thankfully not all of them. But the most annoying part of all this is I didn’t show my hero’s emotions correctly in the new scenes. How could I have forgotten what was going on in the part of the story I did keep?

Then there is the issue that my office has been closed for the last two days. So today is my first day back at work this week. I’m having some financial issues, and yet another check is going to be short. I can barely make ends meet if I don’t miss any work.

On the bright side, I did go through my sci-fi manuscript, and I have removed the portion that is actually the second book of the series to a separate file. That does need some changes made, but I’ll work on it later. Right now, I want to finish book one!

And I am so close. I swear I am.

Once I fix the errors I made in the new scenes, it will mostly minor changes and simple editing. And believe me, major changes take way longer than minor changes and simple fixes. The major stuff is always a problem.

The worst part is I always seem to get to a point in the day when no words continue to come. It’s like my brain shuts down after a certain number of pages of writing. I’m lucky if I can manage ten pages a day, it's usually only five, which isn’t a thing to be happening right before NANO starts.

You see, to keep up with NANO I will have to write between six and seven pages a day. Shutting down around five pages isn’t going to cut it.

It sometimes amazes me that I manage to finish NANO most years. And it is even more amazing that in 2017 I managed to write over 90K words in November. That is the year I started this sci-fi.

Yeah, we’re talking over 90,000 words in just one month. Which is on par with the time I wrote an over 130K rough draft in just six weeks. (If you are curious, that one was my story everyone couldn’t decide if was a paranormal romance, or sci-fi, and it turns out it's speculative fiction, who knew?)

In other words, I write more and faster when I am not writing romance! I thought I was a romance writer. Go figure.

I swear, most of what I write is romance. Promise.

Just ask Konnie, she’ll tell you.

But I must say I am having fun with this sci-fi, and it isn’t like I have never liked sci-fi. I’m a Star Trek fan from way back.

Actually, that is something Konnie and I have in common – Star Trek.

She even used names associated with Star Trek in her opus sci-fi. And I mean a ton of names from the Star Trek universe, both character names and actor names. She’s even got Roddenberry in there, both Gene and Majel! She actually did a great job.

She’s got a Takai and a Sulu in there and every time I read at least Takai’s lines I hear George Takai saying the line in my head! I do not have any problems with most of the others. There is that issue with her character Crosby where I always envision Tasha Yar, but generally, I just have fun seeing all those familiar names on the page.

I haven’t done the same, but Konnie’s sci-fi is set way far in Earth’s future whereas mine is set in an alien universe, so there is a big difference there.

There is one major change I’ve made to my sci-fi this last month or so and that is moving the first scene with my hero to before the first scene with my heroine. This seems kind of strange because this whole story started from a writing prompt competition, I entered ages ago. Everybody loved the first few lines I wrote from the prompt in the heroine’s POV.

The problem was that the stuff I later wrote in the hero’s POV happened well before the first scene in the heroine’s POV, so I had to make the change. Linear wise it makes more sense, so it needed done.

Anyway, happy writing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment