Back in January, I wrote about issues with getting our Christmas decorations down, but at the end, I mentioned issues with both our washer and dishwasher. I mentioned wondering if, or when, our dryer or oven would join the revolt.
Well, now I can answer that.
At the time, back in January, we managed to keep our washer going, and the dishwasher was under warranty. It took the technician coming out a few times, but we finally got it back up and running. Though it was around that time when the part in our fridge that controls the light just popped out for some reason.
Fortunately, that was covered too. Didn’t take long at all for the technician to repair it.
Now as for our washer, it behaved itself until this past month (June), when with a sudden clunk it stopped spinning at all.
This time, not under warranty.
I called a repair service I’ve used before.
They honestly could have gotten someone here later that same day, but being a house full of neurodiverse people (and me an introvert), I opted for the next day. He came, diagnosed the issue, and was back out again in record time. He said he’d have to order the part and would let us know when he had it.
All fine.
Eventually he called, and we set the follow-up appointment to actually fix it.
Once he had the machine working again, we put it right to use because, guess what, it’d been out of commission for a week, and we all had piles of laundry to get through. Bedding being a major issue for all four of us. Then there were the towels and all our loads of clothes.
Well, when it was time to get that very first load out of the dryer so the second load could be put in, it was discovered that the dryer had quit working. It’s even older than the washer, so we called the repair place back up and had a new guy coming in the next day.
Do you know what happened?
THAT NIGHT we discovered that our oven wasn’t working either. It wouldn’t stay hot.
Fortunately, the repair guy was more than willing to check both appliances out. And the dryer was a fairly simple fix; just had to wait for the part.
Unfortunately, the oven, which at this point is our oldest appliance, would be less expensive to replace. So, we’re going to have to figure it out. And believe me, after spending all that money fixing the washer and dryer, it simply wasn’t in the cards to also buy an oven.
But, thanks to our “small” appliances, we’ve been able to manage. We can even muddle it if the stovetop stops working, which thankfully it hasn’t done yet. You see, besides a bread maker, a crock pot, and an InstaPot, we have an electric roasting pan. We also have a grill, though we haven’t opted for that option yet because my husband is the only one who can cook through that smoke, and he simply isn’t reliable enough to depend on him.
And yes, the roasting pan can even bake. I’ve made cornbread in it, and my daughter made a cake for my birthday.
The next step is to get enough money together to purchase a new stove. When my older son found out about our dilemma, he promised to cover it, but he hasn’t been able to get the money to us yet. I’m assuming we’ll have to wait until next month at least. We are pricing out our options, though.
But we found out when our dryer and oven would join the revolt.
And typing this made me realize we have one still functioning appliance that is older than every other appliance except our oven, which is still working.
Our freezer.
And if it stopped working, we would have to scramble to replace it very quickly because there is no way we could stuff all that food in the relatively small freezer section of our fridge. For one, both are nearly always stuffed full. But the very thought has me thinking we need to replace it BEFORE it dies.
All things considered, that should be our next appliance to focus on. Due to the sheer expense of it, I’m assuming another chest, since the preferred upright is far more costly. I do not relish the idea of diving headfirst into one, trying to reach something in the bottom of it.
Fortunately, I have three family members available who are visibly taller than I am. Two of them are six inches taller, but that half a foot makes a huge difference. Believe me. I am the only one in my household who can’t reach things on the second shelf without a stool.
Smile. Make the day a brighter day.

No comments:
Post a Comment