Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Writer's Block Part 2 by Bonnie Le Hamilton

Don’t you hate it when you look at a blank page, and draw a blank? I particularly hate it when I have lots of ideas, right up until I open Word. For the last week or so, since I’ve recovered from my concussion, I’ve  been trying to get back into writing, but all I’ve done is open up one file after and reread it, then when I get to the end of what I have, I draw a complete blank.

Blank pages are never fun to stare at, and I honestly don’t do it very long. Generally, if something doesn’t come to me in a couple of minutes, I switch to doing something else. And I’m beginning to wonder if I really should set a timer and write whatever comes to my mind. I used to do that in high school. Of course, that was in my creative writing class. While I’ve sort of tried that exercise outside of class, I’ve never set a timer to do it.

At any rate, I’m now thinking I should start doing that again, or maybe forget writing for a little longer and go read a book. Sometimes that will stimulate ideas too, except I do have ideas, I just freeze looking at a blank page, so maybe that won’t help.

Other things I know will work is taking a long walk, but I’m not about to do that for several reasons, not the least of which is that it’s sixteen degrees out.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to help relieve writer’s block? Clearly, both Konnie and I need it.


Happy writing everyone! J

6 comments:

  1. Bonnie, I think some freewriting would probably be a good idea right now. It will take some time for your brain to get back into the swing of writing.

    Set the timer and let the words flow out however they want. Let your fingers remember how it works, and let your brain get rid of the words that have built up while you were recovering.

    Just write! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think I need to do that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have several fellow writers send you prompts. My prompt to you is, did/do you ever get honest but stupid/silly questions from people (now) or from other kids when you were a kid? If so. like what and how did you respond?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CeeBee, I'm a twin, I've been asked tons of time what's it like to be a twin. And I already wrote down the story about the guy who established we were twins then proceeded to grilled me about my age, birth date, and birth place, then turned to my twin and asked her how old she was.

      He got laughed of the bus.

      Delete
  4. Or, what has been the most frequent question about being a twin? OR, what do you wish people would ask you about being a twin?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The most frequent question about being a twin is, "What's it like to be a twin?"

    My answer, "What's it like not to be a twin?"

    Enough said.

    ReplyDelete