Wednesday, June 26, 2019

The Joys of Parenting by Konnie Enos


Recently I asked my youngest daughter, Melinda, if she was going to go to Wal-Mart with me.
My husband told her, “Your mom will probably let you drive.”
Both of us were wondering if he was daft or something.
When Melinda got her learner’s permit I started letting her drive, at first only some of the time, but gradually it became most of the time. When she got her license it became pretty much anytime she’s in the car. So it’s pretty much a given she’d be driving if she went with me.
In fact, there have been multiple occasions where I needed to be going somewhere and I couldn’t immediately see my keys.
“Melinda, do you have my keys?”
Sometimes the answer is no. Okay, the search is on.
Sometimes the answer is, “I’ll check.” Then she either tell me no, or throws the keys at me.
Sometimes she’ll say, “I’ll get them.” Unless she’s going with me, then she’ll say, “I have them.”
I have enough trouble misplacing things as it is but now I never know if I simply forgot where I put them or they’re somehow buried in my purse or on the bed, or she has them.
Of course my misplacing things isn’t nearly as funny as someone not being able to see something that is clearly in front of them.
We’ve had several incidents, all within the same week or so where Royce might have wondered if his vision was going.
The first one happened when he was looking for the seasonal, as in searching where it should be kept and where it is usually found.
I finally ask him what he was looking for. When he told me, I told him I’d last seen it on the table. Now at the time our table was covered, mostly in groceries which hadn’t been put away yet. He began his search there but still was not seeing it.
I finally looked up from what I was doing and my eyes happened to fall right on the elusive bottle of seasoning. "It's right there in front of you."
He starts frantically looking in the general area in front of him. “Where.”
I tap the cap.
“I’m blind.” He cracked up.
Then a few days later he told me he couldn't find the aluminum foil. I didn’t want to get up and search myself so I told him where I’d last seen it, on the table.
Nope, he'd already searched it completely. So I headed for the kitchen but got no further than the end of the hallway. From there I could see the table. "I can see it from here."
After a moment he finally sees it. "I am not blind."
I went back to my room only to have him say we were out. I knew for a fact there was another roll so I told him exactly where it was in the pantry.
A moment later I hear, "I swear I am not blind."
Then, less than a week later, he turns to me, “Have you seen Tony?”
The last place I had seen his brother was their bedroom, in his bed. From where I was sitting, I could see their bed. I glanced toward it. "That's the last place I saw him."
"What the... The last place I look is the first place I should have looked, right above me."
Yes, they have bunk beds.
Having kids can provide some humorous situations. Because Royce is, well who he is, there’s barely a day that goes by that he doesn’t at least attempt to get me to laugh. He considers it a challenge and knowing it’s even harder to get such a reaction out of Bonnie, he has started calling her with his efforts.
Yes, he can get her to laugh.
 But I think one of my favorite Royce just being himself but it was funny was an exchange between him and his sister, Melinda.
First Melinda again reprimanded him, “Stop yelling.”
“I’m not yelling. I’m screaming loudly.”
“What do you think the definition of yelling is? Whispering?”
“What do you think the definition of minute (time) is? Minute (size)?”
I’m still laughing.
Then this exchange when Royce showed Melinda a puzzle. She glanced at it and gave him an answer.
He said, “95% of adults can’t figure that out.”
“95% of adults aren’t geniuses.”
He could only nod. “Valid response.”
Being a parent can sure have its hilarious moments especially when you have children on the spectrum. We know for sure Royce is and we suspect Melinda is. She’s working on getting evaluated now.
Oh, and next week being what it is, Happy Birthday, U.S.A. and Bonnie.
Smile. Make the day a brighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment