Wednesday, June 12, 2019

To the Men in our Lives by Konnie Enos


I leave the room for just a minute to fill my water bottle knowing full well it’s almost time for the alarm to go off so I wasn’t surprised when I came back hearing it. Problem was it sounded different.
I sit down by my phone and as I’m reaching for it I realize the sounds is different because there are two phones going off.
Since I have a family of six adults living in my house we, of course, have multiple cell phones. The problem is there are only two that would be in my bed. (Mine is actually in my purse, which is on my bed.)
Now the fact the second phone is in my bed wouldn’t normally be a problem but said phone should be with its owner. My husband.
Where is my husband?
He’s somewhere between here and where our youngest daughter had to go this morning. In other words, not home.
One reason all of us have our own phones is so we can stay in contact with one another and there is safety in having access to one wherever you go. But my husband also needs one so he doesn’t get lost. Though like everything else (keys, phone, wallet, and glasses) he is constantly misplacing it or leaving it behind.
Of course there is one time we didn’t even notice he didn’t have his phone until my oldest son needed to call because he missed his bus home from school (this was a few years ago while he was still in high school). He’d called dad’s number but some gruff sounding man answered. He called twice thinking he’d misdialed the first time. Same result.
He finally called me. We were able to get him home.
He came in and asked me why a strange guy was answering dad’s phone.
That’s when we figured out my husband didn’t have his phone and wasn’t sure where it was.
I called his phone figuring if a strange guy answers I could ask him where the phone was.
Guy answers and I realize from his voice he isn’t a stranger, but he’s also not in this state. He can’t possibly have my husband’s phone. My husband had forwarded all his calls to his brother-in-law’s phone then hid his phone!
Must have taken us half an hour at least to fix the issue and locate his phone.
There are some days I have to wonder where the man’s head is because he is constantly misplacing things. I can’t tell you how many times he’s lost a pair of glasses. Once he’d just barely gotten his prescription filled and promptly lost them, never to be seen again.
I don’t know how many times he’s lost his wallet. Thankfully he has managed to find it, so far.
Most of the time I wonder if we have men in our lives to make things more difficult.
Not long ago our youngest daughter had to be somewhere and since we needed the car, someone would have to drive her. I was attempting to get dressed but my husband was talking to me. Every time I aimed for the bathroom he’d stop me again to continue the conversation.
Our daughter finally yelled at me because she was going to be late if I didn’t get dressed like five minutes ago.
I told her to yell at her dad because he wouldn’t stop talking to me and that gave me enough of a distraction to actually get to the bathroom and otherwise get ready to leave.
Then today I’m attempting to get this done before I have to get ready to leave and in comes my husband more than eager to have a nice conversation with me.
I’m glancing at the clock as it is inching closer and closer to when I have to have this posted and I have to get dressed to take middle daughter to her appointment. I don’t have a lot of time available this morning.
Husband isn’t noticing me looking at the clock.
I think I irritated him when I told him I didn’t have time to talk to him, but I’d already told him this morning I couldn’t drive youngest daughter to where she needed to be because I had to do my post. He should have realized I was busy since I was typing.
Then I think, what would we do without the men in our lives? I mean they do serve a purpose, but they either make us scream in frustration, laugh out loud or wish we’d never met them.
To all the confusing, annoying, frustrating men in your life, wish them a happy Father’s Day.
Smile. Make the day a brighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment