Wednesday, November 6, 2019

National Novel Writer's by Bonnie Le Hamilton


November is here and all around the world writers everywhere are participating in the challenge to write 50,000 words this month. I have been doing this challenge since 2003, and I usually win, but now I have a few other responsibilities taking up some of my time, so we’ll see how well I do this year.

So far, I have just barely over 5,000 words. (My sister-in-law ended up in the hospital early Saturday morning.) How are you doing? What is your Nano sign-in? Let me know, I’ll friend you. My sign-in is FaithfullSpirit2 (and yes that is how it is spelled).

I’m an old pro at this, so I’d like to give you some simple advice for the month.

First, pay attention to your sleep schedule. You can’t write when you are yawning. And dozing off is even worse for writing. (Think falling asleep on the keyboard – the keys will move, but it won’t make any sense!)

Second, don’t skip meals. They say kids need a good breakfast because they can’t learn if they’re hungry, well, a writer can’t think with a growling stomach. So, remember to eat. This is why I’m glad all our local write-ins include at least snacks.

Third, don’t tie yourself down to an outline, maybe your muse wants to go another way. Let it. You never know, it might be a better choice, and you won’t know until you write it. Another thing is if you stick with the outline against your muse, you are letting your inner editor out. Just go with the flow, you can fix it later. This challenge is more like a month-long stream of thought. Besides, you can’t fix a blank page. 😊

Four, make sure your family knows what you are trying to do. Advertise this to everyone who may or may not interrupt you during the month, and lay down the law, “No interruptions while I’m writing!”
Though I do know some people can’t say that, while others wouldn’t understand. Children being chief among them. I don’t have that problem, but Konnie still does, even though all her children are all now legally adults, only one of them is actually out of the house.

As Konnie has often mentioned, she has a hard time doing anything on her computer because of interruptions from her family. I didn’t have much of a problem when my husband was alive. He only interrupted when I needed to be going somewhere or it was time to eat. Something I miss a lot, especially when he used to get my attention that it was time to eat by placing food between me and my computer. A whole lot easier than having to drag myself away from my computer long enough to make something to eat.

And I’ve heard of a writer who changed his voicemail message to say something on the lines of, “I’m writing right now, but leave a message at the tone and I will get back to you as soon as I take a break.”

Which might be a good idea for anyone who gets a lot of calls. Also, turn your ringer off while you’re at the computer. Again, that is something I don’t have to do, I don’t get that many calls, as in hardly ever. Even less since I discovered I can block calls from unknown numbers. Now I’m not getting any robocalls.

Fifth, remember first drafts are awful. They usually stink. But as I said before, you can’t fix a blank page. That is what this challenge is all about, filling the page so you can later go back and fix it. There is a time and place for editing, and a time and place to just write. November is when we just write, don’t worry about the mistakes, just write.

Though I know that last one is easier said than done. I find myself rereading what I wrote the day before, and end up having to add and delete words, correct spelling, and fix unclear sentences. Most of that is grammar, which I wasn’t paying attention to the day before. But that also means I do let my inner editor out for a few minutes every day. I’ve tried not to, but I can’t help it.

I make mistakes all the time, and when I see them, I can’t go on until they are fixed. Don’t know why; that is just how I am.

Sixth, don’t ever accept what others say is the way to write as law. No two people are alike, no two people have the same style. Go ahead and try it, if you wish, but in the end, it’s your choice as to whether it works or not.

Happy writing, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment