Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Sleep-Deprived, Again by Konnie Enos


So much for the best-laid plans.
Monday, being a holiday, my plans were to run just two needed errands and spend the rest of the day doing things like finances (I had to make sure we still had grocery money).
First issue. As I was getting dressed Sunday morning, I realized I no longer had any clean pants. I realize our weather here isn’t nail-biting, but when the sun is down the temps have been dipping into the 40’s. I haven’t been wearing my shorts or sandals to avoid being cold. So having no clean pants meant I needed to do laundry. I saw no reason to do said laundry on Sunday, as I wouldn’t be needing pants until sometime Monday.
This led to the second issue. I kid you not; every single one of my family members except my youngest son was desperate to get laundry done on Monday. Our washer was full from at least 8 a.m. until well, Tuesday. The only time it wasn’t running was when we were waiting for the dryer to finish so we could empty it. In order of desperation, my clothes didn’t even get into the washer until about 10 p.m. and it was after 11:30 before they got out of the dryer.
Of course, this means I can’t get dressed which means I can’t run any errands. Which I really had no issue with. We could manage one more day without going to the store. The problem was my son needed something bought for him BEFORE 5 a.m. Tuesday. This was extremely important. Needless to say, I had to get dressed and dash to the store in the middle of the night.
Problem. Our local Wal-Mart is no longer open 24/7. By the time I got to the store, they weren’t admitting any new customers because they would be closing in a minute. This required me to go home and get back on my computer long enough to find the location of the nearest Wal-Mart that was open 24/7. Oh, joy! In this large metropolitan area there are exactly two Wal-Marts open. Do you want to know where they are? Both of them at opposite ends of the same road clear at the south end of town, at least a 20 to 30-minute drive without traffic. The only good part was there was no traffic at one in the morning.
So I drive to the one I actually know where it’s at and quickly locate the one item I needed. I took the time to search for two other things I could use; finding only one of them (they were out of the other) then went in search of a line.
Mind you, I have exactly two items.
This Wal-Mart appears to have only a few cash registers. Then I realize that only three or four of them aren’t the self-scan ones and they have only one cashier working. It is, of course, an express lane.
No problem, I only have two items.
Problem.
The gentlemen already at the register have about THREE cartfuls of groceries. Obviously too much to take through self-scan and this is the only cashier working. Wonderful. I guess I’m waiting and waiting. I was in line longer at least twice as long as it took me to find my items. Which is actually par for the course for Wal-Mart.
By now, it is after 2 a.m. and I still need to get home. Fortunately, still no traffic. I was home by 3 a.m. but it took me a while to wind down enough to actually sleep, and I had an 8 a.m. appointment. Yeah, I spent most of yesterday in a stupor with a sleep-deprived headache or actually crashed out.
When did I remember that today was Wednesday and I had a post to get up?
I’m actually not sure. I do know it was sometime after everyone in the house had gone to bed and I had in fact been in bed and asleep for a while. I roused enough to think, “Wait a minute, I have a post to write. Too tired.” Then I promptly went back to sleep.
I also know I woke up to use the bathroom about 3:30 but was still too tired to keep my eyes open or otherwise think.
Thankfully, by the time my alarm went off this morning, I was cognizant enough to open word and start typing. I am totally too old for this staying up all night and still functioning the next day.
How is everyone else doing? For those Nano writers, are you meeting your goals?
Smile. Make the day a brighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment