Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Differences by Bonnie Le Hamilton

 

As the title of this blog states, Konnie and I are mirror twins, as in mirror opposites, but not really in personality, unless you count that I am on the spectrum and she isn’t.

Another way we are different is pets.

She has a dog.

I have a cat.

I’m not really much of a dog person, and Konnie tries hard not to call me on garbage day or when the mail is due simply because I can’t stand the cacophony caused not just by her dog, but her husband’s and two daughters’ dogs as well. Multiple dogs yapping their heads off is not pleasant.

I, on the other hand, have to deal with Patches, which sometimes can be trying.

Like the other day, I hurried to the bathroom, as I did so, I noted I didn’t have to avoid Patches underfoot while I ran, but beyond that, I didn’t notice where Patches was.

I entered the bathroom and kicked the door closed. Now I did this because Patches can partially open the living room curtain, and you can see out the window from the toilet if the door is open. I did not, however, push the door all the way into the jamb. It was touching but not in.

Well, I’m just finishing up my business in there when I hear distressed yowling coming from Patches. I rush to the door, my heart hammering in my throat, open it, and Patches look up at me then quietly finds a spot to lay down on the living room floor, as calm as can be.

Ye gads, cat! Talk about giving me a heart attack!

But that isn’t all, the next time I went to take a shower was the complete opposite. Now, whenever I take a shower, I don’t want him jumping in with me, so I close the door all the way. This time I actually closed it in his face, since he was following me.

No big deal, I’ve done it before. He’s usually following me.

But this time he didn’t meow at the door or stick his paws under it while I was getting undressed, which was not usual. Not by a long shot.

As I finished up and got out, well, I expected to find Patches resting somewhere near the door, watching, waiting. That is his usual reaction, but this time there was no cat in sight until I entered my bedroom.

He was chilling on my bed.

Now, I’d like to point out my bathroom door is open, except when in use. In the first instance, Patches didn’t see me enter the bathroom, but clearly, the door was closed, it is only closed when I am in there. So, where was I?

In the second instance, he saw me close the door, so no problem. The only issue was that he didn’t react the way he normally does when I close him out of that room.

I just don’t get why he got upset the first time, and I wonder if that’s how he reacts when I manage to leave the house while he’s napping in the other room. Does he yowl like that until he hears my car pull into the driveway? He always jumps in to the living room window while I’m still braking on those occasions.

All I know is no one has ever complained about him yowling, and he seems fine when I first see him upon my return.

At any rate, I know Konnie doesn’t have those issues, both because her dog follows her all over the house and because if Konnie ever managed to get in the bathroom without Mable seeing her, well there are other people, and dogs, in her house.

She also doesn’t have another issue I’ve had in the last couple of weeks.

The other day, I thought I was out of clean bath towels. Emphasis on “thought.”

So, with that in mind, I gathered all my laundry, sorted it, and started a load in the washer. When I went to put that load in the dryer, I opened the door, and – I’m not out of clean bath towels after all.

That would never happen to Konnie because of the sheer number of people using her washer and dryer compared to mine.

I forget a load in the dryer, it stays there until the next time I do laundry. When Konnie forgets a load in the dryer, it stays there until someone else needs the dryer. There is always someone else who needs the machines. Around her house, there is often a line for who needs laundry done or to use the bathroom.

Cats have no use for bathrooms and laundry rooms, so no lines here. 😊

Happy writing everyone!  ðŸ˜Š


No comments:

Post a Comment