Wednesday, February 3, 2021

On Seeing and Reading by Konnie Enos

I’ve worn glasses since fourth grade, with the need to wear bifocals coming shortly thereafter. No. bifocals aren’t just for grandparents. Due to my poor eyesight and my astigmatism, my world quickly became a large blur. Since the members of my family also wore glasses I didn’t have encounters with many people who didn’t understand that I couldn’t see without them.

Then I met my husband.

The first time I realized he didn’t understand my limited vision was after we were married and he asked me how his hair looked. At the time I was in the tub, sans glasses. I mean I could see his general shape but his hair was a blurry mass. As he never got closer than standing by the tub, I could not see if his hair was combed.

This complete lack of understanding my visual limitations has expanded to my children though they do attempt to be more understanding about it.

Now, if you know anything about bifocals, you know that whatever you want to read or see up close, must be positioned at a specific angle for you to see/read them. Because of this, being height-challenged, I cannot share any sort of reading material. For example, I do not share a hymnal at church.

Up until the advent of smartphones and tablets, when someone wanted me to read something they would let me hold it where I could see it. Now, they are reluctant to let go of their phone or tablet so I’m stuck explaining why I can’t see it.

Now I’ve had cataract surgery on both eyes.

Yeah! Better eyesight.

Not so yeah, I still have astigmatism. My distance vision is still blurry and for reading I’m learning the age-old problem of my arms are not long enough. I’m adapting to my temporary less than perfect vision.

I am, however, increasingly frustrated with my family’s insistence that I read or look at something on their tech while they are holding it. None of them, especially my children, understand the position I need to see it because they don’t wear bifocals. Now, even if they could remember my reading position, they are failing to comprehend that I can’t see anything that small, or close right now. So, even though my vision is better, I’m constantly having to tell someone that I cannot see whatever it is they want me to see.

I’m also not just talking about words.

The other day my son mentioned he had a splinter. As in, I’m helpless in this situation and need my mommy to doctor me.

I’m thinking a sliver? Really? I can’t even read what I wrote down because I can’t see it and you expect me to see something as small as a sliver?

I sent him to his sister.

If I get a hangnail I might be able to feel it, but I cannot see it. If my nails get a snag in them, the same thing. I’m constantly feeling my nails to make sure they are still smooth.

Typing is another issue. I can do it on my computer because I do know how to touch type. On my tech, it is a different issue. I’m never even sure I’m hitting the correct buttons. Fortunately, I’ve learned magnifying things makes it easier to read them. I have my tech screens magnified 125%. For Word, I have the page at 190%.

It’s not that easy to magnify things that aren’t on tech.

Did you know the camera feature on your tech can zoom in, magnify, what you’re looking at?

I do now. I’ve used my camera more in the last week than I did the previous year, though I’m not normally taking pictures. I’m just trying to read something.

However, there have been times I’ve just asked my husband to read it for me since he’s beside me. He’s been consistently telling me he can’t see it either and has never made any effort to get his reading glasses (which he does have) to help me out. Though I guess I should have expected this since he was always asking me to read things for him instead of getting his glasses and reading it himself.

So, with my husband beside me, I’ve had to call a child in to read something because he wouldn’t.

On top of all this, I’m dealing with a near-constant headache from eyestrain.

And now it’s the first of the month. Time to pay the bills, and I can’t see.                          

This is going to prove to be an interesting couple of months.

At least I will eventually have new glasses because, after all these years, it’s disconcerting to see my face without them.

Smile. Make the day a brighter day.


No comments:

Post a Comment