Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Signs of a Writer by Bonnie Le Hamilton

 


 

It is, at this point, seven weeks since I submitted my manuscript to Entangled Press. I still haven’t heard anything from them. And I’m still praying they’ll say yes.

The problem is, much better writers have been turned down way more times, so the chances of my story being accepted are slim. Ah well. Writing is hard, and trying to sell our stories is even harder.

But I do know that I am a writer.

I read an article the other day that I found on Pinterest which listed ten signs you are a writer. First off, the article was written in 2015 on a blog by The Writing Kylie, so it is on the old side, but very valid.

Let’s go over the list:

#1. You constantly dream about writing or about your story.

                        Definitely.

#2. You absolutely love to read.

Now we all know writers are readers, and yes, I love to read.

#3. You feel doubt.

I honestly couldn’t believe this was on the list, but well, the article put it simply – you only doubt when it matters to you. Boy, do I doubt!

#4. You lose track of time when you write.

And when I read. 😊 It doesn’t have to be a story I’m writing; it just has to be good!

#5. You feel like something is missing when you don’t write.

                        So, that’s my problem!

#6. You are better at working out your thoughts and feelings through writing than talking about them out loud.

Okay, this is not me, but the list isn’t one of those where you have to have all the symptoms either. However, I am way more erudite on paper than orally.

#7. You want to spend more time with fictional characters then you do with real people.

Come on, fictional characters are way easier to deal with, even when they are fighting your ideas for them.

#8. You can’t walk past a bookstore without going inside.

Actually, I can – I’m broke. I refuse to go in because I can’t afford to buy anything. But that’s new stores. I buy them all the time used (along with Nativities). Thrift stores are our friends, and don’t forget Thrift Books!

#9. Your favorite beverage is coffee or tea, preferably in abundance.

Okay, not me or Konnie. And not just because they are against our religion, I don’t like caffeinated drinks. Though I do sometimes drink herbal tea.

#10. You have more notebooks than sheets for your bed.

Duh! I only have two sets of sheets. That’s easy who can live with only two notebooks?

I’m just wondering if there are more signs that a person is supposed to be a writer.

For starters, I’d add to #10 by saying: you always have a notepad and pen with you no matter what.

Or maybe a sign could be that there are creative people all over your family tree.

I’m not talking just writers, but artists of all sorts. Konnie and I have a family tree full of creative people. Do you?

And let’s not forget that very famous writer I found on our family tree. A fellow by the name of William Shakespeare. 😊

Writing is in our blood.

Being creative is who we are. But of course, many writers are the lone wolf in their family, so what is another sign?

Could it be?

            They talk constantly about their characters as if they were real people.

            Who thinks of what happens to their characters or the characters in a story they are reading as being real? I remember once when Konnie complained that two of her daughters were talking about the characters in my manuscript (the one I submitted) so incessantly it was driving Konnie up the wall!

And the thing is, I've done that to some extent with either what I’ve read, or what I’m writing. Have you done it? Then again, isn’t that sort of what #7 is about?

How about, does anyone ever spend hours staring at a blank screen, trying to get the words to flow from your brain to your fingertips?

I hate when that happens, but I think only a true writer would suffer from the “blank-screen” syndrome because only a writer would have doubts and fears about picking the right words to fill it. Only a true writer would freeze when it came to starting a new story.

Don’t you agree?

I think another one might be that only a true writer will edit their work. Only a true writer knows that the first draft is rough and will need a lot of work, and only a writer will bother doing that work. Does anyone disagree?

What would you say is a sign of a true writer?

Anyway, happy writing everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment