Wednesday, March 10, 2021

A Magical Book by Bonnie Le Hamilton


 

Last week Konnie did a book review and I’m going to do the same this week, but not for the same reason. In fact, I hadn’t planned it until this past Friday when I learned of this book, The Crooked Swan.

It started when I went to visit a friend of mine from church Friday morning before my stint of volunteering at the visitor’s center, and well, I noticed she had a stack of the same book on her bookcase. Understandably, I was curious.

It isn’t a big book, but she had more than half a dozen and she isn’t a writer, there had to be a reason. And there was. The tiny tome was written by my friend’s aunt-in-law. She and her husband had acquired so many copies so each of their children could have a copy of their own.

Even more intrigued, I asked if I could see it.

I read the blurb on the back, and I just had to read it.

Not a long story. Not even 150 pages.

She offered to let me borrow a copy, and I took it with me when I left to go to the visitor’s center. And it seemed kind of unreal, since I had planned to leave her house in time to head to the visitor’s center, I had already packed my lunch, my computer, and the book I was in the middle of to have plenty to do while I sat around at the visitor’s center, and here I was loaned yet another book.

Once I was sitting behind the desk at the center, I thought about reading my book but I found myself opening The Crooked Swan.

Now I’m a slow reader, always have been.

When my time was up and I went home, I was nearly done.

I cracked the book open just after 12 noon. So, between then and four-thirty, give or take a few trips to the restroom and the drive home, I read and finished this book.

It's sweet, compelling, and riveting!

This is actually a small chapter book, so perfect for children. I think any young girl, particularly, would love this story. The title character is a child, a child who wants to be a ballet dancer. The story is however in the POV of an adult who experiences the magic in this wonderful story.

The magic is the best part of this story, and I found the fact that the POV character didn’t recognize the magic from the start the best part.

Then again, I’m not sure anyone else would know the second the magic started in this story because I have such a tendency to “see” what is coming in a story or movie before they happen. Most infamously was way back when my family and I watched the fourth episode of the Star Wars series not long after it was released, ergo long before episode five was released.

On the ride home afterward, I told my family, “Just watch Luke and Lea are twins separated at birth.”

My family derided me and even told me Luke and Lea were in love and would marry and have children. “Nah. She’s going to end up with Solo.”

They didn’t believe me until they watched episode five.

I told you so.

But it isn’t just then.

The first time I watched “Where the Red Ferns Grows” without having read the book yet, I just knew where they’d find that Ghost Coon several minutes before the boys actually found it, and I knew the cougar was going to attack ahead of time too.

I do it a lot with books too.

I somehow just know what is coming, and I often know it’s coming before anyone else reading the same book. I learned that while I was attending the book club. I knew approximately what would happen in one book before the end of the first chapter, no one else in the group figured it out that soon.

I actually think that is why I like mysteries so much. I can’t seem to figure out who the bad guy is until he is revealed in the book.  I can still know when the POV character really shouldn’t relax their vigilance, but I’m always surprised in the end who did it.

Thereby to say I figured it out so soon in “The Crooked Swan” isn’t a bad thing. I figure it out ahead of time in like HP and every romance I’ve ever read.

That is just something I can do. I don’t know how.

Anyway, “The Crooked Swan” is a book you should consider reading. It was written by Julie Helm and you can find it on Amazon.

Get it, read it, enjoy it.

Happy reading everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment