Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Of Reading and Great Books by Konnie Enos

 

As a normal rule, I read one book at a time. There are times when I will read one right after the other as they are all in the same series, but I have never had more than one book at a time that I was currently reading.

That all changed this week.

Several weeks ago I was able to not only replace, yet again, my copy of “The Chronicles of Narnia” but I was also able to get a new copy of C.S. Lewis’ sci-fi which I have not read in at least a couple of decades. (Easily more than three since I’ve been married 30 years and I’m almost positive I haven’t read it while I’ve been married.)

Since I finally had a copy, I was determined to read it again. I, however, ran into a problem. I could not see the printed word after sundown. I’m assuming this has something to do with my recent cataract surgeries because it has made my chronically dimly lit bedroom seem even darker still.

With nothing to do and wanting to read, though unable to read my physical book, I picked up my kindle. I finally selected one of my clean romances.

So during daylight, I was reading one tomb (which is a combination of three books) and at night I’d read on my kindle.

Now it may have ended with me reading just two books but it so happens I was introduced to a new fantasy book, as in one released just this year. Knowing the basic premise of the story, I wanted a copy. I was able to order it recently.

Since I was sure I would not be finished reading the sci-fi before the fantasy arrived, I figured I’d finish reading the sci-fi then pick up the fantasy.

It arrived Saturday.

What did I do?

Within minutes I cracked the binding and was itching to read it. I, of course, succumbed and read several chapters until it was too dark to see.

The next day I struggled as to which of the two books to finish. Logically I should finish the sci-fi, which I was about half finished with.

Logic prevailed long enough for me to read a chapter or two. At which point I was curious as to what happened next so I picked up the fantasy. Several chapters later it was again too dark to read. At the end of the day, I picked up my Kindle hoping to get a few pages in before I fell asleep.

I have heard the light from such technology can keep you awake. I assure you it does not do the same for me. After dropping, or nearly dropping, my kindle several times I gave up and went to bed after only a few pages.

Monday was a repeat.

Tuesday, I picked up the fantasy first. I eventually found myself so close to the end that I kept reading, even resorting to holding a flashlight so I could see the printed words.

Yes, I finished a 420 pages tomb in four days, while reading two other books, doing some household chores, running errands, looking for work, and dealing with our monthly budget (the next step is paying the bills). Of all the books I’ve read in my lifetime, relatively few of them have riveted my attention so completely that I could not put it down until I had consumed every last word. This is one of those stories. I’m sure, had I been able to concentrate on just reading this one book, I could have finished it in a day, flashlight in hand after dark.  

As I have said, this book would be listed under fantasy, a work of fiction with monsters, dragons, fairies, etc. liberally mentioned throughout. But the drawing point is that it’s a story of Arthurian legend. If you are drawn to stories of Camelot then you should check out “Gawain” by Paul McLerran. (Available on Amazon.)

If you enjoy the tales of Camelot and King Arthur, you should consider reading this tale. It has all the characters you know from other tales, but tells the whole story from a new angle, weaving everything we know and love about Camelot into this new story. Mr. McLerran (in the prologue) even explains all the sources he researched to keep his version true to the Camelot stories we know.

I can say nothing more or less than I absolutely enjoyed reading this book, so if you are looking for a great read, check it out.

Smile. Make the day a brighter day.


No comments:

Post a Comment