Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Of Colds and Brain Fogs by Konnie Enos


 I’ve had one of those weeks.

About last Tuesday I started experiencing a headache and a bit of a stuffy nose. By Thursday I realized it was a sinus infection and I was starting to drag. I somehow got through Sunday but by the end of the day, it was clear I wasn’t well because I didn’t have enough energy to walk from my bedroom to the front of the house.

This has resulted in me not having the wherewithal to concentrate on writing. Well, at least not on writing my post. I’ve been able to focus for brief periods on my fantasy. Although, I haven’t been able to get very far in my efforts to edit it.  I think it took me two days to get through one page. A page that didn’t need much editing.

Between plenty of rest and fluids, plus some medicine the doctor prescribed, I’m beginning to feel more energetic but still not functioning at full brainpower.

I went to bed last night without even starting on my post and knowing I’d have to get up early to get it done.

What happened this morning?

I got up before the sun for yet one more nightly trip to the bathroom. Jerry was already up to the day and he commented, “You’re up!”

“No. Just going to the bathroom. I’m still asleep.”

“But it’s nearly six. You’re always up by six.”

I didn’t even answer as I curled back up in bed thinking, “No. I generally get up by seven. I’m only up by six when I have to be. I have no place to go today, so I’m sleeping.”

Several minutes later my alarm went off.

Fortunately, I had enough presence of mind to remember I only have two alarms set for six in the morning. One for Sunday so I can make church on time, and one for Wednesdays.

I’m sure you can guess why. It’s the only thing I have scheduled on Wednesday mornings.

Unfortunately, I still can’t concentrate on what I need to be writing.

Instead, I’m focusing on what is going on in my house.

Jerry is now in the shower.

Melinda is clearly in the kitchen doing dishes. I know it’s Melinda even though she hasn’t said a word to me or even come into my bedroom because she’s the only other family member who would reasonably get up this early. That and I know the boys were in asleep by ten and therefore aren’t still up and yet to go to bed for the day. Which is kind of amazing since Tony does work a night shift and he does have to go to work tonight.

Tina was still up, or at least her light was still on at ten, so I imagine she’s still asleep too.

So anyway, my brain is still not at full function and I can’t come up with any more stream of thought. I mean other than the dogs barking at random noises, which is probably the garbage trucks considering it’s Wednesday morning, nothing is going on around here.

The only other thing I can come up with is to wish my brother, Dan, a happy birthday which will be this Friday. It’s not like I could ever forget it. His date of birth is one of the most memorable in my life. Of course, his is the only birth experience I do remember from my younger siblings. I was only a year old when Bryon was born and though I was 13 when Ben was born, I didn’t live with Dad and Margo (Ben and Dan’s mother) at the time. We were told after the fact that Ben had arrived.

Monday is Labor Day and the Monday after that I’ll be starting fall semester classes. I had thought about writing my next two posts early since homework could easily interfere with me having time to write and due to the number of Wednesdays this month, I have two more for September, but clearly, my brain isn’t up to the challenge yet.

And now I need to take my blood sugar, get some breakfast and take my meds. So I’m going to end this ramble since I need to get it posted anyway.

Smile. Make the day a brighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment