Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Procrastination and Me



The vocabulary word for today is PROCRASTINATION. Meaning putting off something you know you have to do until the very last minute.

Yeah, that’s me.

I have known for a week I needed to write my post, but I kept telling myself I had plenty of time and I could do it later.

At first, I said I’d write it on Friday. I have that day off, save for working at the visitor’s center and I can take my laptop there and work when no visitors are there. I’ve done it before, but this time I ended up trying to help my sister-in-law and didn’t get my laptop packed for the trip to the visitor’s center.

So, I vowed to do it on Monday, also my day off, but Monday got away from me with everything else I had to get done, including still trying to help my sister-in-law. I’ll give you a hint: I didn’t get through my to-do list, let alone write my post.

I convinced myself I’d have time Tuesday after work.

Yeah right.

I decided to forgo my usual weeknight TV viewing and get to work, but again, I had plenty of time, so I decided to edit just one chapter. Three chapters later it dawned on me that my ankles were swollen to the point I had to put them above my heart, not only that I was yawning so much I reset my alarm and went to bed.

Now, I have no choice; I have to write my post, but my hand is asleep. Try typing when you can’t feel the keys on one side isn’t easy.

Yes, I can touch type though it is difficult when one hand is numb.

However, not as difficult as when Patches tried to get between me and the computer. Try typing when you can’t even see the screen doesn’t work very well. Especially since my cursor likes to jump around on me. Fun.

Anyway, I have been trying to get back into the writing before November, but so far most of what I’ve done is edit mistakes (mostly adding in missing words) to manuscripts I have started and not finished. Very little new writing unless you count this post and a few scenes for a new story.

On top of that, I don’t know which one I should edit since I have so many.

Most likely I really should work on my massive sci-fi, on the other hand, I keep wanting to work on some of my unfinished romances. And there’s my new one, which I keep telling myself to save for NANO. Even though I already started it.

Anyway, life goes on.

Patches is now on my footstool, I have my carpal tunnel brace on, and I’m running out of time to get this post up.

I think procrastination is the bane of any writer’s existence – or maybe just everyone’s.

So, from now on I’m going to try to get things done while I have time to do them instead of putting them off until later. After all, we really don’t know what tomorrow will bring. Health issues, accidents, people stopping by. We can’t plan for those things, but they do happen.

People stopping by may not happen very often, but this last week it happened quite a bit for me.

Unusual week.

Anyway, happy writing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment