Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Of Informative Idioms and Being Neurodiverse by Konnie Enos

 

The other day I was thinking about all the various poems, idioms, and even proverbs that help us remember information or tell us something important.

Things such as:

“An apple a day keeps the doctor away.”

“Red sky at night, sailors delight.

Red sky in morning, sailors take warning.”

Or how about:

“Thirty days has September,

April, June, and November,

all the rest have thirty-one.

February has twenty-eight,

but leap year coming one in four

February then has one day more.”

How many of you can only remember the first few lines of that one? I’m raising my hand. I knew there was more to the poem, but I could never remember it.

There are a lot of sayings like this which we use to convey ideas and information, so it won’t be forgotten. Others include:

“It’s better to be safe than sorry.”

“Better late than never.”

“Actions speak louder than words.”

“You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.”

“Cleanliness is next to Godliness.”

“The early bird catches the worm.”

“Where there’s a will, there’s a way.”

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

Or my often quoted one:

            “No two people are exactly alike.”

Which kind of goes along with:

“Don’t judge a book by its cover.”

While I was looking up such statements, I also came across one that relays information, I’m just not sure if it’s true information.

“Monday's child is fair of face

Tuesday's child is full of grace

Wednesday's child is full of woe

Thursday's child has far to go

Friday's child is loving and giving

Saturday's child works for its living

And a child that's born on the Sabbath day

Is fair and wise and good and gay.”

I know for a fact three of the people I know were born on Friday, and for a fourth person, it was easy to confirm. All of them can be loving and giving, two of those are among the most loving and giving people I know. Bonnie and I were born on Thursday. If far to go means long life, we’re not there yet. If it means physical travel and moving, I think we qualify.

I also know people born on Monday, one of those on a holiday, and I’m not sure any of them are “fair of face.” However, the people I know who were born on Saturday did “work for a living.” And one thing I can say about the person born on Sunday is that she is intelligent.

However, I cannot say the people I know who were born on Tuesday are full of grace. At least they are certainly not graceful. Is that the same thing?

So, what brought on this contemplation?

I was thinking about two idioms I learned as a kid.

One:

            “In like a lion, out like a lamb.”

And:

            “April showers bring May flowers.”

Why was I thinking about them?

Well, it’s March, and well March doesn’t always come in like a lion. Though I have heard the opposite. “In like a lamb, out like a lion.” But that’s not the common saying.

However, generally, April does tend to have a lot of rainstorms. Rain means plants are watered. Well-watered plants grow. So, showers in April do bring flowers in May.

What else brought on this line of thinking on?

My soon be twenty-one, daily reminder of all things neurodiverse, loveable, quirky, sweet, May Day baby boy.

He makes me laugh. Gives me things to think about and often astounds me with his knowledge. He can also be frustrating with his tenacious laziness and absolute refusal to admit he can read.

I think his catchphrase should be, “Why me, though?” Simply because he asks me this so often when I try to get him to do something, you know, like chores.

My answer is often, “Because you live here too.” And or, “Deal with it.” But sometimes it warrants more explanation, such as, “You’re the tallest one in the house.”

He moans but eventually does what I ask of him.

April is also Autism Awareness month, though I think there is a campaign to change it to Neurodiverse Awareness Month. I like that better so I’m using it.

So, that is what I’ve been thinking about this past week while I’ve been struggling to keep up with my homework and on top of all my obligations. (Admittedly only those for my family members are being met. I can only do so much.)

What informative idioms, proverbs, and poems do you know?

Smile. Make the day a brighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment