Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Getting on Track by Bonnie Le Hamilton



I need to write my post, but where do I start?

Since my last post, I can finally drive, but I’m still dealing with various appointments (doctors, nurses, therapists). I am hoping they will end soon. I did manage to get into work once last week, but because of appointments, I couldn’t manage any other days. And today will be my second day back to work since my hospital stay, due to various appointments on Monday and my left foot decided I hadn’t elevated it long enough Monday night and was swollen today.

As in I went to see the infectious disease doctor at the hospital for my right foot.

The first thing she told me was my left ankle did not look good.

I already knew that.

After the appointment with her, I went home and put my foot up, like a good girl, but it was still swollen when it was time to go to work. I spent most of the day in bed with my ankle elevated above my heart.

I did get up with the intention of going to work, but the way my ankle felt, well, let’s just say, I wouldn’t be able to handle five hours sitting at a desk, it would be too uncomfortable.

At home, I can stretch out in bed, and even if I don’t lie down, my foot doesn’t bother me, but once I try sitting on my couch or in a chair. Yeah, I’d rather not.

When my ankle gets swollen what I feel is somewhere between “pins and needles” and a low throbbing ache, and not even putting my foot up on my footstool helps, stretching my legs out on my bed relieves the discomfort instantly (just not the swelling).

All of which meant I couldn’t go to work, because I wouldn’t have been able to handle the full five hours in need of putting my feet up. And I have often ended my workday by going home and putting my feet up.

It has gotten to the point that I have seriously considered rearranging things, so my TV is in my bedroom. These days, my prime viewing time is when I have my feet up, and I can’t do that in the living room.

Which in and of itself is kind of weird because Konnie doesn’t watch TV. The last time she came to visit, I was surprised when I returned from work to find her watching a video.

Of course, she put the video on because my apartment is too quiet.

In other words, my place is too quiet for her to be able to write and her place is too noisy for me to be able to write!

It is of course what we’ve gotten used to. Konnie has a houseful, and I swear they have more dogs than humans in that place. I have a single cat, no kids, no husband, just me and Patches. Yeah, my place is very peaceful compared to her menagerie.

Though I might point out that when she was visiting me, her phone constantly chiming drove me up the wall! Her phone chimed more in one hour than mine usually does in a week! And you guessed it, it was her kids and her husband. Go figure.

I should have known it would happen. Back in ’95, another time I was temporarily bedridden, Konnie came to help me out, leaving her husband home with what was then their three daughters. Believe me when I tell you my phone rang every half hour or so while Konnie was at my place, and none of those calls were for me or my husband. It had been Jerry every time.

Then again, what man doesn’t have issues when left home alone with the kids for a few hours, or days?

Konnie is your typical housewife who always seems to be doing several things at once. She has used a picture depicting that for her post at least once.

To say the least, my life is way more laid back than Konnie’s. And she does finally have two kids out of the house, two out of five, all adults, and three still at home for various reasons. Let alone that her husband can’t even seem to manage his medicines without her intervention.

I do recall at least one call during her last visit was about his medicines.

At any rate, my right foot is healing nicely, I should be able to make it to work today, and hopefully, I won’t have anything else interrupt my schedule for a good long while.

And maybe I will get some writing done this week.

Anyway, happy writing everyone!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment