Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Of Procrastination and Sleep by Konnie Enos


Last night I mentioned to Tony that it was my turn to do the post for our blog. He then commented on my tendency to procrastinate and that studies have shown people who procrastinate tend to come up with the most creative ideas.

I’m not sure that’s true but I do procrastinate a lot of things. Even when I think I have a great idea for my next post, I generally don’t even start writing it before Tuesday night. Lately, it’s been Wednesday morning.

And it’s not like I’m busy.

I spend most of my days sitting on my bed on my tech. Generally, I spend a few hours each morning doing some mind-challenging games (like Sudoku) or getting lost down the rabbit hole of social media. In the afternoon I’ll either read (lately that’s been Kindle books) or watch something with the occasional dive into making sure all our bills are paid and we have enough left over to cover groceries and gas until we get more money. I could also spend hours on end working on one of my WIPS. Once I get started I don’t stop until it’s very late. Usually, really late.

I don’t know if my issue is daylight or activity, though I’d guess activity because I have slept during the day. I am not in the habit of sleeping when I can hear other people up and about.

And that thought just made me realize what the real issue could be.

Around the time the sun comes up each day, the dogs want attention, if only to go out back and relieve themselves and Melinda starts her day. Jerry does too. Neither of them is loud, but I can hear them.

Melinda doesn’t talk much, but I can hear her moving about the house. From skipping up and down the hall to doing her daily chores, there are always some sounds to indicate she is up and about.

Jerry tends to be quieter. If he is in the bedroom, he’s at his desk, has headphones on, and does not move about, much. I can tell he is there without looking because his jittering and fidgeting have his old chair doing a lot of squeaking. One of these days, I’ll get up enough nerve to throw that thing away. Either that or he is constantly going in and out the door. Since he usually does this to check up on his Akita I’ll also hear him opening and closing the gate to the dog run. (The gate is by my bedroom window.)

By midday, Jerry will take a nap, or find something to do outside of the house. Melinda will spend time very quietly browsing the internet, reading a book, or taking a nap if she doesn’t feel well. But by then I’m engrossed in something or the boys have woken up for the day.

Conversations are the biggest indicator the boys are up, or the distinct sounds of Royce running up and down the backyard. Considering it’s rare for my children to hear me when I call for help if they aren’t in the hallway, I’m often amazed that I can pick up their conversations when they are in the front room. Hearing Royce is much easier since he is running right outside my bedroom window.

Now, when Melinda goes to bed at night, we do turn out all the lights and anyone still awake tries to be quieter which would be conducive to getting some sleep myself, especially since the sun is also down by then, but somehow I never do.

Sometimes I’m balancing a checkbook and need to hunt down some discrepancy or another. Most of the time I am right in the middle of reading, writing, or editing something and I want to at least get to a good stopping point.

I think we’ve all been there. A good stopping point is the end of the chapter (or scene) but when we reach it, we’re so into the story that we simply continue until we realize how late it is. Then we’ll chide ourselves to go to bed at the end of the chapter only to forget again when we reach it.

It’s not unusual for me to notice that it is all but morning again and force myself to close my laptop and get some sleep. Then when morning comes I spend the day with a headache because it wasn’t nearly enough sleep.

This all means that I feel like I’m not getting enough sleep. Or more accurately, I’m not getting enough sleep. But on the plus side, procrastinating does seem to help me come up with ideas for my posts, and I can type fast enough to get them ready before our deadline.

Smile. Make the day a brighter day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment