Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Of Writing, Baking, and the Internet by Bonnie Le Hamilton

 


I am going to make this post short and sweet because I haven’t got a lot of time to write it. For starters, my internet was down for several days, and I wasn’t about to get much writing done since I couldn’t access the cloud or anything.

Then of course there is the fact that today is the day before Thanksgiving, and I have some baking to do before tomorrow.

I admit that what baking I have to do is nothing compared to how busy Konnie is preparing for her Thanksgiving dinner. At Konnie’s house, everything is fixed from scratch, and I mean everything, including the bread for the stuffing.

At my place, I’m only providing a couple of desserts. Yes, from scratch, but well, there aren’t going to be a lot of people at my sister’s-in-law tomorrow. There just isn’t room over there for a lot of people, so I won’t need to make a bunch of pies, which Konnie is doing.

As far as Nano goes, I actually finished the challenge on the 12th, much to Konnie’s surprise. I did post that fact on Facebook, and Konnie thought I was just posting that I was participating again this year.

No, I made my goal.

I have since added a few more words to my novel, just not a whole lot due mostly to my internet issues, but I can also blame the write-in I attended Saturday where the entire group got distracted when one of our members was having trouble finding the answer to a research question she had.

That took up a large chunk of the time we had for our write-in as everyone tried to find the answer for her.

One of the other members went so far as to call a friend and ask her if she knew the answer. She didn’t off the top of her head, but she managed to find the answer just as we were packing up to leave.

The problem was solved, but I went home to find my internet was down, so I wasn’t able to have what had become my usual weekend marathon of writing. And my internet was down until last night.

I guess I should be happy that I am already past the 50k mark, I was just hoping I could manage something along the lines of what I did when I wrote book one of this series. That was the year I got over 90k in November.  And I was doing so well! After all, I did make 50k well before the 15th and when I wrote the first book, I was at like 30k on the 15th. Yeah, I did a ton of writing in the last half of that month.

At least there is still time to get a bunch more words and I do have another weekend to do another marathon of writing.

On another note, a librarian friend of mine asked for a copy of the first book so she could read it. She was very excited to read it and even offered to get a copy for the library once I felt it was polished.

I had told her it was a rough draft.

I personally think she has too much faith in my writing as she made that offer before she read the manuscript.

Anyway, I need to get a bunch of stuff done before work today, so I’m going to say,
“Happy Thanksgiving! And happy writing everyone!”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment