Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Of Decorations, Food, Family, and Celebrations


 Currently, my mind is on Christmas.

The few presents I have left to wrap, and I’m considering not wrapping them. What food and treats we will need for our celebrations. Then there is the decorating.

Though I’m not sure why the food and decorations are such a big part of nearly all our celebrations. I mean you can enjoy the holidays without indulging in extravagant meals or eating sweets. But it seems we tend to do both.

Anyway, yesterday I was talking to Melinda about our plans for the holiday season. First, what meal we will prepare so we can start planning for it. I fail to see why we must have two such large meals only a month apart. I’m all for making a smaller, simpler meal especially to give some relief to our chief cook (Melinda). She, however, wants a nice meal and I suppose since she is cooking it, it’s her choice.

Then we discussed what treats we would need for the holiday. Pies and cakes seem to be enough sweets to celebrate Thanksgiving, but other holidays require candy for some reason. And there are both traditional (candy canes) and family preferences to consider.

After that, we moved to decorating the house.

I have heard of people who decorate for every holiday and season, but I’ve never done that. Probably because my mother (and stepmother for that matter) never bothered to decorate for any other event.

I like making my house all festive for the season.

The nice big tree in the corner covered in baubles, memories, and lights with brightly wrapped packages underneath. The wreath on the door and lights trimming the exterior of the house. And further greens and lights decorate surfaces within the house.

Then there are the displays.

Christmas villages. Santa and his reindeer. Mistletoe. And, of course, the nativities.

It takes a lot of effort to put out the displays of the season, but I like the result and how it makes a home look and feel. So, Melinda and I discussed what we could do to decorate.

I lost my wreath a few years ago so we talked about getting a new one and ways to prevent it from disappearing from our door. Thankfully we now have a doorbell camera so it might deter someone from stealing. However, that isn’t going to stop the wind from blowing it away, which is what I suspect happened to mine. So, we talked about what we could use to tie the wreath to the door hanger.

Then we talked about our tree, or rather trees, and where we would put it.

Normally we have a six-foot tree we put in the corner of the living room. We currently do not have access to that corner because we have storage there. I suppose the mess in our garage and the clutter elsewhere in our house is the price you pay for marrying a packrat and settling down for nearly two decades in one place.

So, all we have room to put up is our two-foot tree and our few stockings. This year we won’t have a wall of stockings with nearly twenty of them. There are a lot fewer people, and furry family members here now. RIP Reeses, Mabel, and Tiger. Wishing Clarissa and her family could visit again, and that Tina and Bonnie would be able to come.

I might do bodily harm to Tony if he doesn’t come home for the holiday. He won’t be working those days and it’s not like he can’t afford to travel that far. He’s earning good money and it’s only the other side of the state, not two states or more away. Or like Tina, clear across the country.

But I think what I miss most about the holiday is putting out my nativity and Christmas village. I even have a train to go with it now. What I don’t have is room to display them.

Oh, the nativity itself isn’t super huge. It could be put on something as small as a TV tray. So, maybe I could find a corner for it. But I’ve always put them side by side and it feels wrong not to do both. That and I want to see my Christmas village set up since I’ve added pieces to it since the last time I could. My nativity set hasn’t changed in the over thirty years I’ve had it.

I have looked at ways and means to set up a Christmas village without taking up a lot of space but no matter how you go about it, it still needs some space. It’s the space we don’t have.

And finally, the reason we celebrate Christmas. So maybe I do need to find a place for that nativity.

Smile. Make the day a brighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment