Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Burning the Midnight Oil by Bonnie Le Hamilton




I’d say I’m burning the midnight oil but it’s actually long past midnight. Not only am I not tired, but I’m supposed to be posting in a few hours, and I’m not ready.

I have a friend who complimented me this past week on posting like clockwork. Come on, let’s face it, I’m not in this blog alone, and we keep each other in line when it comes to being consistent. Consistency is a good thing. Our followers know when we’ll have something new up every Wednesday morning.

But it hasn't been easy. Actually, its dang hard, and well a few of our posts have been rather short. My last post wasn’t the first time I forgot it was my turn, and there were a few times where I wasn’t feeling well. Then there’s all the times where Konnie didn’t have time to write something.

I know of a few of our posts that were little more than a paragraph or two.

And I know I’ve said this before, but Konnie leads a busy life. I don’t. For me, getting out of the house once a day is hectic, for Konnie that’s a walk in the park. Now days, more often than not, when I call Konnie, she’s either leaving, traveling, or just returning home. 

Well, actually, that has changed this last month because one of her daughters finally got a driver’s license. So instead of Konnie having to chauffeur her all over town, she can take herself. More importantly, Melinda can run errands and chauffeur her non-driving siblings instead of Konnie doing it.

Of course, things have changed here too. I did finally get a new vehicle not too long ago. Meaning, I don’t have to forgo doing things I wanted to do because I couldn’t find a ride.

So, my social calendar has picked up a few things.

To start with, I’m a member of two different local writing groups, I’m in a book club, and participating in a group of people who knit and crochet. I’ve also recently volunteered three hours a week at the local visitor’s center and I put in the paperwork to volunteer eight hours a week helping scan genealogical information from old books into computers.

And that’s on top of giving my sister-in-law rides to, well, most of her appointments, and taking her shopping, helping her out around her place, etc.

Is it any wonder I’m way behind on things like dishes, laundry, and doing my editing and writing? Let’s face it, I’m also behind on my reading for book club, but it’s more because I’d rather read my scriptures or a Dick Francis novel than the novel the group picked for this month.

It seems, I have no problem reading Shakespeare, but Jane Austin bores me to tears. Of course, her stories read more like a synopsis than a novel, which might have something to do with it. Think about it. An almost 500-page novel, and it reads like a synopsis, as in pretty much all telling.

Talk about deadly dull!

On the other hand, Shakespeare may be in old English but it isn’t telling, or boring. And yeah, I know a lot of people who can’t understand Shakespeare at all, I’ve never had a problem understanding it. Maybe I’m just weird.

And if any of you is thinking Jane Austin’s hard to understand because of all the big words she uses, I’m afraid, I understand her except for a word or two which are no longer used today. I also understand everyone of her characters has a major case of what my concise writing professor called Cossellism, i.e. they use several big words when they all mean basically the same thing.

So, for me, as a modern-day writer, its annoying as well as boring, and I’m having trouble forcing myself to finish reading it. I’m at the end of chapter four, and I’ve barely gotten past the backstory. I think. Its hard to tell, since it’s all telling anyway. And that doesn’t include the info dumps, which frankly is all the first 3 chapters. One long info dump. To say the least, if Austin lived today, she wouldn’t be selling any novels. Not with that writing style.

Anyway, I have a lot more editing to do this month.

Happy writing (or editing) everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment