Wednesday, April 17, 2019

To Trope or Not To Trope by Konnie Enos


Because Bonnie and I are twins, we have been asked about whether or not we write twin characters. Personally, a few and generally secondary characters. I don’t usually write twin characters because there is a basic flaw in portraying them.
You see there are few writers who would understand how to show two siblings are twins  without coming right out and telling that detail of their birth. I also have read very few books where the twins weren’t identical because it is the easiest trope to understand and write.
You’ve all read/seen them.
So totally alike no one, not even their own family members can tell them apart. (This is bogus by the way.)
So totally alike they have all the same likes and dislikes, dress alike, same hobbies, everything the same. (This is creepy and equally bogus.)
Or the worst one yet, they look exactly alike but one is super good and one is practically the devil incarnate. (Seriously, this is not what is meant by mirror opposites, believe me.)
Even so, these tropes are so pervasive it is not only difficult to get away from them, it is nearly impossible to convince some people this isn’t what twins are really like.
Because of this, for years I didn’t even attempt to write twins as main characters. A few secondary ones, but no main ones. I couldn’t stand drawing them as the caricatures people expect.
Then when I started writing my sci-fi two of my POV characters are twins, identical even.
I didn’t want to write them to be one of these tropes because I know that’s just not how we are.
So I wrote twins who look alike, if you don’t know them well and can’t see the differences. Twins who have a ton of different likes and aren’t exactly the same personality. Twins who are both good guys who just happen to have a brother who looks a lot like them and has the same birthday.
Easy, writing basic against the trope stuff.
I was well into my story before Bonnie pointed out I could do better. I re-read their scenes. I agreed. Then we brainstormed. What could I write to show their twinness?
We discussed the unique things we do and have done then I found ways to show these kind of things in my story. Things singletons don’t experience and probably couldn’t understand, unless they managed to find a well-crafted description.
While working on it I realized creating twin characters without relying on tropes and making them real to life twins, was not easy. And I’m a twin.
As I’m thinking about this I’m wondering if my singleton characters are more trope than real life since so many singleton writers rely on tropes to portray twins.
It’s really just a frame of reference question.
Can writers create real to life characters outside of their frame of reference?
If they are heterosexual and they create real life LBGTQ characters? If they are able bodied/healthy can they create real life disabled/health challenged characters?
Since I’ve actually only written a few twin characters, most of mine are singletons, so are they believable?
If you are writing outside your frame of reference, what kind of research do you do so you can get the character right?
That’s what I’m thinking about today, and I’d love to hear your answers.
In the meantime:
Smile. Make the day a brighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment