Wednesday, January 3, 2024

2023 Recap by Bonnie Le Hamilton

 


A new year has begun and here’s hoping it goes better than ’23 did.

Just for a recap, I ended up in the hospital twice with septic arthritis. Both times I was on intravenous antibiotics and no work for a couple of weeks each. Not good for my finances. And I did ask for help, except it wasn’t enough when my old landlord raised my rent and put the building up for sale.

Here I was trying to figure out how I was going to pay for the increased rent, and hoping the new owner didn’t raise it more when I started having major plumbing issues and I couldn’t get a hold of the landlord (he wasn’t answering his phone, and he didn’t have voice mail set up) so I contacted the prospective buyer.

They got a hold of my old landlord and told him to fix it, then called me to ask if he had done it. He hadn’t. The prospective buyer backed out of the sale just a few days before it was supposed to go through.

My old landlord blamed me for contacting the prospective buyer. However, I must point out that they didn’t step out until after my old landlord didn’t fix the plumbing. But as he considered it my fault, he threatened to evict me. Thankfully, a friend of mine told me he legally couldn’t evict me while my rent was current.

Now to just get the plumbing fixed.

My friends rallied around me and tried to help, they did the best they could, but I needed a professional. By this time, my old landlord refused to talk to me and hung up on any of my friends who tried to talk to him.

Then another prospective buyer came on the scene. As this guy lives in Utah, and his brother was right here in Pocatello, he asked his brother to do a sight visit. Which made for an interesting experience. At the time, the only occupied apartments were #1, #5, and #6, and all three of us ladies are members, so we were taken aback when the local mission president and his wife came to inspect the place.

Mind you, my apartment was not legally habitable. The mission president asked me if I had help and I told him I did. I promise things would have been worse without the help of my friends.

          He was so worried about me that he called the stake president to make sure my ministering brothers knew of my situation. The stake president called me to find out if I even knew who that was.

The answer is yes, and he was indeed on the list of friends I’d mentioned to the mission president who was trying to help me, I just never said he was my ministering brother.

          And the next day the realtor for my old landlord showed up with a plumber who started on the repairs. By the time the sale finally went through, my place was up and running again! And better yet we have a new landlord that actually responds on the same day to repairs. As in, within the hour. And, it turned out that since I hadn’t signed a new lease with the new lease amount, my rent reverted back to three or four years ago. NICE!

But all that solved the rent problem, but it didn’t really help me all that much, since I have put one or both of my knees out on several occasions. I couldn’t walk; getting to work was out of the question.

One of those days was the first Monday in December. I was actually getting ready for work when I turned wrong, and I couldn’t make it to work. Tuesday, I decided to go out a little early, so I had time to clear my windows. I was in the middle of trying to do that job when my slick, steep driveway conspired against me, and I landed hard.

I missed all that week and part of the next because I couldn’t sit up. I couldn’t sit, period. And I can’t drive or work lying on my side.

Yeah, I missed most of December between falling hard on my seat and the office being closed for more days than I care to count.

And last Wednesday I was going to go to work, right up until I woke up unable to walk. Thanks to my restless legs, I put my knee out in my sleep!

Then on Thursday, I woke up with a head cold.

So much for December, now the new year has begun and I still haven’t made it back to work since the Thursday before Christmas.

Anyway, happy writing everyone! And happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment