Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Too Cold! by B. L. Hamilton

 


There is something weird going on with the weather around here. Today I saw something on Facebook about the temperature in Dallas Texas being 23 degrees and the temperature in Salt Lake City Utah being 30 degrees!

Of course, when I saw it, the first thing that hit me was that it was a whopping 30 degrees in Salt Lake City! I found myself wishing it was that warm here. Then I noted the other city in that meme and wondered what was going on. Is it really colder in Dallas than in Salt Lake?

Though before I could fully absorb that information, a friend of mine, who lives in New Orleans, posted it was 17 degrees at her place.

My response was, well at least it wasn’t -2!

That isn’t to say it was -2 at the time I commented. No, at that time it was 23 degrees out, just like in Dallas, but it had been, well it got to -3 Monday night.

How is this happening?

Dallas and New Orleans being colder than Salt Lake is bad enough, but to have to deal with negative temperatures here, well, I’m not the only one having problems.

I wasn’t the only one at Auto Zone yesterday because of battery issues. There were three other people there with the same issue. And as that was afternoon, I’m sure they had a lot more come in earlier.

Then a friend of mine came over to help me with the new battery I needed, and he told me he moved from Bear Lake to get away from below-zero weather.

I said at the time that I didn’t think he had moved far enough south for that and I even wished I lived in Vegas with Konnie right now.

He told me Bear Lake gets colder. 

Yeah, it probably does. Bear Lake, like Rexburg, is at a much higher altitude than down on the Snake River Plains where we live. And let’s face it because Pocatello is situated in such a small valley, most storms skip over us and hit Blackfoot, I.F., and Rexburg with way more than we get here.

I should know, I’ve lived in those places, and even Salt Lake. Pocatello does not get hit with winter weather as hard as places further north or at least in much bigger valleys than here.

Which isn’t to say we don’t get hit, because we get hit, there’s a good six inches outside from this past weekend’s storm. And from all reports, it was worse out of this valley. Chubbuck and Fort Hall got it worse. They always do and considering how close they are to Pocatello it still seems amazing.

For those of you who don’t know the town I live in, to get from Pocatello to Chubbuck, you just have to cross a street. And, while driving through Chubbuck on Yellowstone Ave, about the time you hit the suburbs, you cross into the Reservation, which doesn’t end until you hit Blackfoot.

Taking Yellowstone Ave, the other way, you get to farms before you hit Inkom, but there isn’t as much open land there as there used to be! And Inkom isn’t in this valley either.

And I promise Inkom tends to get hit worse than Pocatello. Again, this small valley.

I just wish this small valley could protect us from the cold. At 9:30 last night, it was -4 outside! Yikes! I’m glad I was inside.

By the way, that doesn't include the wind chill factor.

It’s dang cold out there!

But we’re supposed to start warming up tomorrow.

The forecast is for the high 30s for tomorrow. That is tolerable, that is what we are used to for this time of year; we are in the north. If this is the kind of weather down in New Orleans, I can see how they would be miserable.

Like how I was in a hot, muggy, Virginia summer. Give me arid heat any day.

Actually, arid weather period. Humidity kicks it up several notches either way I think. Though it never got this cold in Norfolk while I lived there.

I had quite a few laughs at the reaction of the locals to the snow. They actually closed the schools over a skiff of snow! I mean you could still see the grass between what little bits of snow there was, and it wasn’t laying on the asphalt or concrete.

It was even funnier when there was a run on groceries when a winter storm was predicted. They acted like they’d be snowed in for weeks.

Sometimes you just have to stop and consider where you are, and what you are used to compared to the people around you.

We all have different experiences, or perspectives.

Anyway, happy writing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment