Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Of New Years and Old Things by Konnie Enos


Here it is, nearly the end of January and I’m thinking about all the things I have not done with this new year.

I have not read a single book, not even that pile of books I got for Christmas. (I got somewhere in the amount of nine or ten new books.) Or any of the new-to-me books I acquired in the few months preceding December. Though I admit I have tried to read a few of my books. I think I have three that I’ve started in the last few months and just never picked up again.

I have not done a single handcraft. I not only have tons of yarn, hooks, and needles in easy reach, but I also have some knitting looms and some cross stitches I can do. I have all sorts of plans for all of it, and I have picked them up at least once or twice, but I have not put any serious effort into it.

I have not consistently kept up with my chores. I’m not cleaning the kitchen regularly and I haven’t been helping Melinda with planning our weekly menu or writing our weekly shopping list. I’ve cooked dinner only once, leaving the bulk of it to Melinda. I’m also behind on keeping my checkbook up to date.

I have not been making my church meetings. Most of that is I cannot seem to stay awake long enough to get dressed and ready to go. Most of what I’ve spent my waking hours on is getting lost in the rabbit hole that is Facebook.

Most importantly, I have not been writing, or editing any of my work. Or in fact, anything to do with writing except contributing to this blog. Unless you count thinking about how things I could change in my current WIPs. I’ve done that but come up with no solid ideas.

Now I know a lack of desire, or interest in doing things you normally do would be seriously concerning. However, my lack of action has nothing to do with my lack of interest. It has everything to do with my lack of energy.

You see, I’ve also been falling asleep randomly throughout the day and taking two to four-hour naps. That’s on top of a full night's sleep.

What I have done this month (besides wasting time on Facebook) was go to multiple doctor’s appointments to be poked and prodded to find out why I’m feeling so lousy.

One of the first concerns was cancer. Fortunately, the test results have already ruled that out. My doctor also found I had a mild infection, which might account for my tiredness. So, I’m on antibiotics again. If that doesn’t work, I’ll probably be poked and prodded some more.

My doctor was also able to determine that I do need a simple surgery. Nothing major. In and out in the same day. I’ll be having that done in the next month or so.

Hopefully, I’ll get back to having enough energy to attend all my church meetings and keep up with my chores. The things I normally do.

If I can get that down again then I can work at adding working on my writing, reading new books, and doing some handcrafts. I mean there are plenty of hours in the day when you aren’t falling asleep randomly or wasting time in rabbit holes.

One thing I have done this month, which I’d like to continue, is watching some movies. Ones I remember seeing at some point and liked. I started with the original Star Trek movies, those with the original casts from TOS and TNG. The new ones are available too, so I may watch those too.

Next, I watched The Quiet Man and McClintock. No, I’m not what I would call a Duke fan. I just like some of his movies, especially those with Maureen O’Hara.

Then I wanted to watch some movies from when I was young. Netflix has a classics section. I looked there. The oldest one was from 1984 and most of the rest were from this century.

How can the classics be less than 40 years old? That’s right up there with songs released while I was in high school being played on the oldies station. Or high schools having retro dances with an 80s theme. In my day it was the 60s. Then again, they are probably doing 90s themes now.

Then in the process of trying to find some of those old movies I remember from my childhood, I discovered they were “old” before I was born.

I guess I just prefer the stuff from my parents’ childhoods.

Smile. Make the day a brighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment