Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Of Old Age and New Experiences by Konnie Enos

 

I have spent the last year with tech issues. One was my laptop. I liked my laptop, but Royce didn’t because it would randomly have glitches that he’d have to fix for me. The last one is when it stopped charging altogether. Laptops are useless without power. They also cost a few hundred dollars. Since we can’t afford to replace it, I’m stuck sharing with all the men in this household. Fortunately, they don’t use it very often.

Another issue was my tablet, which was old enough that any charge only lasted a few hours. Having to charge it two and three times a day got old. And my phone, even older, was only slightly better. Royce wanted me to replace them and recently insisted he was going to go pick me up a new tablet. Which he did go to do.

While at the store picking out a new tablet for me, he called me.

I kid you not, my phone glitched so bad it would not let me answer the phone! After several attempts including shutting my phone off and restarting it twice, I finally used Jerry’s phone to call him. When he answered the phone, thinking it was his dad, I was ranting and raving about my dumb phone glitching.

Without replying to me at all, and as calm as could be, he addressed the salesperson. “She’d like a new phone too.”

It stretched out the transaction a bit but now I have a new tablet and a new phone.

The tablet is a newer version of my old one, so the navigation and stuff are similar. Learning how to use it has been easy. On the plus side, it responds every time. My old one had developed a zone that only responded when it felt like it.

Now my phone is a completely different issue. It’s a different brand than I’ve ever had before. I am adjusting to it, but the first few days I had to ask Royce to yet again explain how to do something simple, like log onto my phone.

Thankfully, I’m not so old that I can’t retain new information and learn new things. I’m getting along just fine with my new technology now.

In other news, sometime in November I was conversing with my Voc Rehab counselor and mentioned that I no longer have a car and would have issues getting to job interviews or work because my mobility makes taking the regular bus system impossible. She suggested I apply for paratransit.

I consented but was unsure they’d allow me to use that system.

Yes, I have some mobility issues. But I can still walk. My issue with the bus system is getting to the bus stops and standing around waiting for them. I did put in the application, and they did ask me about what my mobility issues were. They also told me that after I submitted it, they’d do a review and require me to come in for a mobility assessment. The entire process was supposed to take at least a month if not two.

I mailed it just before Christmas. The instructions were to call back in seven days. Due to the holidays, I spaced it until after New Year’s. As soon as businesses were open again after the holidays, I called them back. It stunned me when I found out they approved me.

Okay. I have doctor’s appointments this month. Let’s see how things work if it works.

I went to try to set up an appointment. First obstacle. They will only set up transit three days in advance. So, I waited a few days. When I went to set things up it was easy, but I learned there was a charge for it. I have no cash and no budget for all the trips I’d need for my appointments.

While I was quickly calculating how much I’d need to cover all those trips, I started reading everything I could find on the site about paratransit. Especially how to pay for it. In that process, I stumbled upon the information that Medicaid covered paratransit rides for medical appointments.

I made a call. Talked to a guy. He confirmed I was in the system and eligible for rides to medical appointments. I set up the transportation I needed for my first appointment this month, which was yesterday.

So, for the first time in my life, I used the paratransit system. While I was sitting on the bus heading to my appointment, I realized I not only had mobility issues, but I’m a senior citizen, even if I don’t feel or look it.

Mostly, I’m just thankful I can make my appointments without stressing over finding a ride to them.

Smile. Make the day a brighter day.


No comments:

Post a Comment